On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
That soldier did well! 30 psi on a sbe and a good amount of street miles and passes is nothing to belittle!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Every year people seem to find an extra 25+ hp safely out of a SBE.

It's just been a number of 25+ hp/yr years

Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Holdener made 1400 or something out of a SBE 4.8 on the Dyno, his gen 4 6.0 maxed out a 3 bar MAP sensor at like 1500hp.

The SBE record last year is pretty crazy.

Untouched 4.8, ported 862 heads, 88mm GT55, 16 injectors on Meth.... Sounds like a good combo.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I always thought they got iffy past 600 wheel, GenIII guts?
It's in the tune, and that's no kidding. Happel, Sloppy Mechanic guy, has gotten a gen3 to 800whp, but it takes a ton of boost, E85 and timing in the toilet.

What Jake and Duke referenced above is a fact. That sqirreltuned guy is making stupid track times on a 4.8 with stock rods IMHO.

There is an excellent chance that the issue with my motor presently is me, or something that I started previously. Knocking the headgaskets out of it before DW had me concerned that I might have started the demise of this motor. But perhaps 12 degrees of timing at 7100 rpms and 32psi of boost was a little too greedy. I don't know, but we'll see in the next day haha.

I'm Gen4 with an aluminum block. The aluminum block is weaker than the steel block and that's a definite/previously determined/absolute. But I'm nowhere near the limit of the aluminum block - yet.

Something to keep in mind though, a bad tune will break anything. I could have a Dart, World, LSX , etc block with $3K of rods and pistons and break them with a tuning mistake. They are just a bunch more forgiving to the tune. What ends up happenning with better parts is they start getting leaned on harder - they all have a limit. For some fun YouTubing, go watch Steve Morris's shenanigans from this past summer. He certainly knows how to find the limit of some of the most expensive parts available haha.

8-10psi or 100 shot of nitrous can be handled by almost every motor made in the past 30 years, but a bad tune with either of those low power adder numbers can turn anything into smithereens.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
So….I guess I found the limit of ARP head bolts.

F49FC1BA-B24E-4499-BA83-297299A006C6.jpeg
1FA03FBA-D2FD-459C-9FC5-9E185260958C.jpeg
3019F9B7-3C5C-4177-8FEF-C1D11DA3AB63.jpeg

I didn’t bother checking piston height until the motor was out. And I new it was going to be a scene after checking. The forward side of #1 was .105” down and the rear side .065”. And after finding the next two in the driver side below the deck I knew what was in for. I have one straight rod, and that’s from the hole with almost 160 psi of compression.

So I was very anxious to see the ring lands and the bearings to see if I got too aggressive with the tune. Bearings, rings, ring lands are still in great shape. The head gasket at #1 - not so much. And I can see at least 3 other cylinders that had started to spit the bit.

So I guess I found the limit of ARP bolts. I’m sure I lifted the heads with virtually new LS9 HG’s. 32psi of boost from an 88mm turbo seemed to have made me join the bent rod club. $1500 or so of pistons, rods, rings and head studs - here I come.

I’m going to have to take my 10G’s and the keys decal off the car . And I’m going to have to start a new thread haha - no more on the cheap I guess.

Edit : guess what what studs I'm getting :

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor