On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Absolutely

I have the Hawk 5.0 performance street pad on my Z06 and, as a street performance pad, I'm very happy. If I needed a step up from that, I would lean toward the Carbotech/Gloc XP10 having run them in the past. Those have greater stopping power with excellent modulation, but they may come up a bit stiff on a cold early/late season run. The latter will squeal some, create a lot of dust, and chew through rotors. The former will just create Dustin and so far they don't seem to suffer in the cold. Even with the XP10 being slightly off in the cold, halfway through your braking event they'll come on and put you through the windshield. If it were my money I'd start with the 5.0 and go from there.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Your description of ‘coming on a bit stiff’ I’ve dealt with. I ran a set of EBC Yellow Stuff on the fronts and that’s how they worked. They needed some heat, once hot they were like an electromagnet pulling me backwards. But I overheated those pads and I could not get them to ‘come back’. I even went to grinding on them - no luck. One thing for sure though, the 1st brake application of the day with them required some thinking ahead because they DID NOT stop when at ambient temps.

I probably should look at better pads on the front and rear. For Christ’s sake, I’m still running the rear pads that came with the rear from the junkyard ( but they were new then along with the calipers.)

You got me thinking. How much are the Hawk 5.0’s?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Good to see the progress!! You'll make Florida! You have a plan and a goal.

Honestly you might be over thinking the pad compound on the blazer swap. The pad and rotor on a blazer setup are so much bigger than stock G stuff you gain a ton there.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Your description of ‘coming on a bit stiff’ I’ve dealt with. I ran a set of EBC Yellow Stuff on the fronts and that’s how they worked. They needed some heat, once hot they were like an electromagnet pulling me backwards. But I overheated those pads and I could not get them to ‘come back’. I even went to grinding on them - no luck. One thing for sure though, the 1st brake application of the day with them required some thinking ahead because they DID NOT stop when at ambient temps.

I probably should look at better pads on the front and rear. For Christ’s sake, I’m still running the rear pads that came with the rear from the junkyard ( but they were new then along with the calipers.)

You got me thinking. How much are the Hawk 5.0’s?

GD, how did you overheat Yellows? My friend had them on a Lancer and, once broken in properly, were awesome on the road course. Sure, less power to weight, but it was a prolonged exposure to heat and abuse and they didn't flinch. I'm thinking you're really only exposing them to a quick hard haul down from a 9 second pass in most all ambient temperatures?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I run the Power Stop Z26 pads along with their drilled/slotted rotors on my daily. Very good pad and don't have to be woken up like the yellow stuff, in my experience. They make a fair amount of dust but are relatively quiet. They don't last long. Around 24k miles and they are gone but they've saved me a few times. Those Hawk pads may be even more aggressive.

Unfortunately, the Z26 series doesn't seem to be available for the Blazer and my search doesn't come up with any Hawk pads for it either. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Akebono offers a performance pad for it but I've never run their stuff. I do like that they are made in USA....

Screenshot_20221219_024059_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221219_024129_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
2713731E-BBBA-4DAD-9C9A-ECFB0989EC6B.jpeg

I’ve officially joined the bent stud club :-/

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
BIIIIGGG POWAH!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
1/2-20?

Been there, done that....

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I see your bent stud and raise you this.

PXL_20221227_010128818.MP.jpg

Front of the Camaro on the wheel that took the most load. Guess I'll be checking for that from now on. . . I'll see if I'm cool enough to be in the bent stud club with the remaining 4. I literally just saw this.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor