On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Hopefully this will be the ‘deal maker’, ‘secret to my success’, ‘the missing link’ or some other ridiculous euphemism haha.

I’m really pulling for this setup to ‘make some hay’ ;)

50B1E0BE-81CB-4D9C-8CD7-EFDC957E017D.jpeg

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
I believe the title of this thread needs to be changed: no longer on cheap LOL

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That was gone after almost $3k into the motor.

$800 turbo (Black Friday deal that someone else decided they didn’t need)
$1100 converter

I hope mid 9’s become a thing of the past. If I could hit the track once or twice before SW, then I’d be trying to average a 9.50 in February. But because of the timing of the event, I’ll need to work into it through the week. If everything (new parts) work, then Friday I’ll shoot for the moon - maybe sooner depending on how well the car works. And if it looks like a possibility of rain on Friday in Orlando, the in Gainesville on Thursday it will get turned up.

But I’ll add that I’ll be a worry wart for the 1st day or so.

Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I believe the title of this thread needs to be changed: no longer on cheap LOL

new title? Throwing your purse at mid 9s?
Do you guys any idea what you have in yours? Or is that a bad question? I know I don’t tell my wife what’s in ‘the boxes’ that show up hehe.

I’m hoping that I can update the ‘fastest car on the forum’ thread with a better number. I believe I can get wingnutks , but I know I’m about 500-1000hp away from Jdam.

Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Do you guys any idea what you have in yours? Or is that a bad question? I know I don’t tell my wife what’s in ‘the boxes’ that show up hehe.

I’m hoping that I can update the ‘fastest car on the forum’ thread with a better number. I believe I can get wingnutks , but I know I’m about 500-1000hp away from Jdam.

My wife saw that I paid like $170 to get a new trailer tire mounted on my way to OK last year with the war machine and commented that I have an expensive hobby. If she only knew the rest! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida

I have a rough idea, and it wasn't cheap, but wasn't trying to be. Buy once, cry once (is my usual motto).

• Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have a rough idea, and it wasn't cheap, but wasn't trying to be. Buy once, cry once (is my usual motto).
Always a good plan, sometimes tough to stick too though.

Most of my issues have been not knowing what to do in the 1st place which develops into a live and learn situation. It doesn’t bother me much to live and learn, until it gets expensive. By far my largest mistake financially was what I did with the 4L80 in the beginning. I fully expected that I’d outgrow the previous converter, but 4L80 converters aren’t anywhere near as cheap as 350 or 400’s. The 80E is nice for cruising, but if I make it to the next target time and speed I’m going to need a gear change that would would’ve worked decently on the highway.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
new title? Throwing your purse at mid 9s?
Yes, new title. And it probably needed to be changed after 4 months. Hopefully it doesn't take me another 2+ years to get there.

And no, not throwing 'my purse' at it. When a set of Trickflow/AFR heads and/or a Reid case 80E or TH400 with proper internals show up, then I'll say I threw my purse at it. Check post #684 - I didn't drop the jing for the 2000hp converter that I could 'grow into' - it was only another $1100 which seems like a lot. In the big picture of this things though, that isn't an 'out of the question' amount of money - I think I can use the additional money elsewhere with more benefit or NHRA legalness (like perhaps a chute). If I threw my purse at it, then it would be running 8.50's.

Regarding the new goal, Wallace Race calculator indicates I need 900whp (1000 crank) to get to a 9.00000. Saying the last dyno I was on was accurate - 820 blowing through the converter at low boost of 25psi has me thinking that I should darn be close to the numbers Wallace indicates I need at that low of a boost setting. Obviously there is a lot that I have to get working correctly to run another 9.4/9.5, and trying to get everything right in 5 track days is not as easy as it sounds based on my experience. But if I can get it sorted out, then 35psi here I come ;)

• Winner

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Jim I hope you get your 8.99999 during SW! You've earned it that's for sure!

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor