On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(anything less than 9.1)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You could work on making it corner,

or just do burnouts and ice cream?
I want to say, it does burnouts like it was designed in ‘84 for that purpose. The ‘08 motor acts like it’s mad at me until it hits 4500 rpm’s. After being around it for a bit, it seems surprising that that it wasn’t designed with a 7500 rpm rev limiter. The homemade, low budget exhaust sounds icky at 2k, but like a church choir at 6k.

It’s so much damn fun to drive and have fun in. But I still can’t get my better half to go for a ride with me (smh).

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Congrats on making a goal and then hitting it. 140mph in a gbody has gotta take some serious balls. So I wouldnt disappoint them by pissing off your wife, plus sounds like it's a blast to drive now, so would it be worth chasing a lower time at the expense of street driving? Or can you have both even in the low 9s? Seems stupid(awesome)fast to me tbh. I was wondering how long a sbe would hold up under that much boost. Like if it makes a block window, will you be surprised or pissed? I too wanna do drag week or hrpt with my son in the car "we" built. It's definitely a bucket list item for me. You can buy them all the crap in the world, but they won't Remember any of it. They remember the experiences. It doesn't matter if they're 10 or 50.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Congrats on making a goal and then hitting it. 140mph in a gbody has gotta take some serious balls. So I wouldnt disappoint them by pissing off your wife, plus sounds like it's a blast to drive now, so would it be worth chasing a lower time at the expense of street driving? Or can you have both even in the low 9s? Seems stupid(awesome)fast to me tbh. I was wondering how long a sbe would hold up under that much boost. Like if it makes a block window, will you be surprised or pissed? I too wanna do drag week or hrpt with my son in the car "we" built. It's definitely a bucket list item for me. You can buy them all the crap in the world, but they won't Remember any of it. They remember the experiences. It doesn't matter if they're 10 or 50.
I won’t be pissed at all if I wreck this motor -$900 invested and two spares ready to go. Without any sarcasm, how can I be pissed with a $250 motor with new cam, valve springs, oil pump and lifters?

The DW deal though makes it more challenging. Implying don’t ‘go for broke’ on the 1st day or two. I know it will run 20-24psi reliably. So I’m planning to run it there until the last day, or last two days.

I really want to see ‘ole Bob’ at Byron and let one rip (day three). Byron is such a great strip. Hopefully see Jake (81cutlass ) there as well.

Different note (a little), I’ve been driving the car a bunch and not being nice to it. Street pump gas and E tune to 12-14psi. Dang is it fun. The turbo is stupid laggy without the transbrake and 2 step, but it really sings at 5k+ - just takes a couple of seconds to get there. Once it hits 8-10psi it’s an adventure.

👌

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Pulled the diff cover to check the rear before DW. Found the passenger side wheel end to have too much in and out play and the seal is moist where it shouldn’t be. Not really sure why, but the other side did the same thing last year. I’m replacing the bearings with a different style A20 National.

Hard to believe , but the JY gears look fine.

And I’ll add that 9” wheel ends suck when replacing bearings. Have to burn off the bearing retainer and mess with a press to to it back together. All in the name of no c-clips. There is no way I could ever do this along side of the road.

72E64C9C-2228-4E7A-9E9D-75865C62B9E7.jpeg 227B0144-62DA-4450-83E9-7322585FED42.jpeg

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Pulled the diff cover to check the rear before DW. Found the passenger side wheel end to have too much in and out play and the seal is moist where it shouldn’t be. Not really sure why, but the other side did the same thing last year. I’m replacing the bearings with a different style A20 National.

Hard to believe , but the JY gears look fine.

And I’ll add that 9” wheel ends suck when replacing bearings. Have to burn off the bearing retainer and mess with a press to to it back together. All in the name of no c-clips. There is no way I could ever do this along side of the road.

View attachment 205700 View attachment 205701

That is a crappy job to do, but worth it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
During reassembly I noticed the diff cover had a rusty spot on the inside (knew that wasn’t good.) I poked at it, and voila, a screwdriver went on through.

Sometimes I question my ‘cheapness’ - this might be one of those times. Running the diff out of fluid during a long trip might have been problematic. So I struggled with buying a Dorman replacement for $30 or picking up a chinesium girdle/cover for $85. Also toyed with the idea of heading to JY to find another 25 year old leaker.

Glad I found it now haha. Waiting parts ‘til Tuesday.

Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The cover showed up 3 days late, but finally have it installed. The delay gave me time to get my some maintenance done on the car trailer, which is a 25 year old homemade unit (cheap as you can well imagine.) It's all steel and weighs in at just under 2800lbs with nothing on it lol. Managed to get the springs and equalizers re-bushed, and replaced all of the axle u-bolts as well.

Some pics of the diff cover/girdle installed. As always, it didn't go as planned. I knew there was potential for interference with the ARB, and that played out as expected. I sanded some off from the cover and managed to get it to clear by less than .050". I was concerned that wouldn't be enough, so I made some spacers out of a piece of 3/8" aluminum that I had laying around. It actually helped the arm geometry and it now has well over 1/4" of clearance, despite the photos not looking like there is that much room. Also, the bar will move up under load, and there is much more room there ('much more' - 1/4" haha.)

IMG-0681.jpg IMG-0683.jpg IMG-0684.jpg IMG-0685.jpg

FWIW, what a PITA to get fluid in. There has to be an easier way, but I don't know what it is. 1/2 hr and my forearms feel like spaghetti after squeezing in almost a gallon of fresh 80W90 through a quart jug with a 5' hose attached.

DW 2022 prep is getting close to completed other than the 'packing up'.

melloelky https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100084885581454

I'm on vacation in the Caribbean - if my flight gets canceled/delayed, then I'm coming!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i saw someone @work filling the diff on a cab over pick up with gear oil that came i bags.beats putting bottles in the microwave and getting the eye..

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
i saw someone @work filling the diff on a cab over pick up with gear oil that came i bags.beats putting bottles in the microwave and getting the eye..
I get it out of a 120lb keg and transfer j to the qt containers. Perhaps I should buy a bag and save the bag (tell my wife I’m ‘saving the bag’). ;)

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor