On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Jim I hope you get your 8.99999 during SW! You've earned it that's for sure!
Thanks Shawn. I try to have realistic goals. I don’t expect much because I know how much I’ve struggled in the past. Main goals are to finish and have a PB at some point - and definitely to have a good time. Scattering something in the 1st day or two will be about the only thing that will be disappointing. Like I mentioned above, if I can make it to Thurs/Fri without a limp (haha), then I’ll be doing my damndest to see what it’ll do.

Thanks again!

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Biggest thing is have fun. Thanks for this thread. I've sure enjoyed it.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Do you guys any idea what you have in yours? Or is that a bad question? I know I don’t tell my wife what’s in ‘the boxes’ that show up hehe.

I’m hoping that I can update the ‘fastest car on the forum’ thread with a better number. I believe I can get wingnutks , but I know I’m about 500-1000hp away from Jdam.
I don't have a wife, and my company sponsors my money pit. Pretty much a Ponzi scheme to bankrupt myself. Lol

I have all the receipts but if I was to guess I'd say $30k CAD. Give or take. It's really calmed down since I made a plan and build direction....

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Yes, new title. And it probably needed to be changed after 4 months. Hopefully it doesn't take me another 2+ years to get there.

And no, not throwing 'my purse' at it. When a set of Trickflow/AFR heads and/or a Reid case 80E or TH400 with proper internals show up, then I'll say I threw my purse at it. Check post #684 - I didn't drop the jing for the 2000hp converter that I could 'grow into' - it was only another $1100 which seems like a lot. In the big picture of this things though, that isn't an 'out of the question' amount of money - I think I can use the additional money elsewhere with more benefit or NHRA legalness (like perhaps a chute). If I threw my purse at it, then it would be running 8.50's.

Regarding the new goal, Wallace Race calculator indicates I need 900whp (1000 crank) to get to a 9.00000. Saying the last dyno I was on was accurate - 820 blowing through the converter at low boost of 25psi has me thinking that I should darn be close to the numbers Wallace indicates I need at that low of a boost setting. Obviously there is a lot that I have to get working correctly to run another 9.4/9.5, and trying to get everything right in 5 track days is not as easy as it sounds based on my experience. But if I can get it sorted out, then 35psi here I come ;)
Can completely confirm not using a 4L80e if I planned to do this again.

I have $9500 in my trans/converter/brake setup alone. I can give great advice because I did it wrong from the beginning too.

• Haha

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
That’s why I elected for the TH400. Proven for drag racing and aftermarket support. Yes I give up some comfort on the highway, but hell turning the engine 3500 cruise isn’t all that bad with all the looks I get in the slow lane 🥳

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Can completely confirm not using a 4L80e if I planned to do this again.

I have $9500 in my trans/converter/brake setup alone. I can give great advice because I did it wrong from the beginning too.
I had to decide if I wanted a street car or race car when we were deciding what to put in it. The OD sold me on the street car idea of the build. But as time has gone by (and I’ve bought parts), dang a TH400 is cheaper. If I end up swapping to 3.55 or 3.31gears, then I’ll really be kicking myself. Converter and valve body alone are about $1k cheaper. The biggest benefit of the electronic trans is the tune - it drives at light throttle like the motor is stock without bone jarring, low load shifts because of the ability to tune the line pressure via throttle position.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
That’s why I elected for the TH400. Proven for drag racing and aftermarket support. Yes I give up some comfort on the highway, but hell turning the engine 3500 cruise isn’t all that bad with all the looks I get in the slow lane 🥳
I agree, overdrive is nice, but I ran a basic manual valvebody transbrake t-400 in my car going 8.80's. If I had $2200 in my whole setup was a lot. It was similar to the ones that are advertised good for 8-850hp.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don't have a wife, and my company sponsors my money pit. Pretty much a Ponzi scheme to bankrupt myself. Lol

I have all the receipts but if I was to guess I'd say $30k CAD. Give or take. It's really calmed down since I made a plan and build direction....
The 1st paragraph is funny.

And I know how easy it is to get spendy with these. I have an internal battle with every part I’ve bought. Price shop, look for an alternative solution, work around a known issue, etc. And my ‘cheapness’ with upgrades have resulted in varying results, meaning sometimes it has worked out and other times haven’t. The best example is the rear shocks. And I probably should’ve bought coil overs (another $500 +). But they were the single most effective part I’ve bought for 60’ time - immediately dropped a couple of tenths off the 60’, and have done better than that since I figured out how to tune them. I often ponder how much I’m leaving on the table with just the shocks.

Reactions: 4 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
The 1st paragraph is funny.

And I know how easy it is to get spendy with these. I have an internal battle with every part I’ve bought. Price shop, look for an alternative solution, work around a known issue, etc. And my ‘cheapness’ with upgrades have resulted in varying results, meaning sometimes it has worked out and other times haven’t. The best example is the rear shocks. And I probably should’ve bought coil overs (another $500 +). But they were the single most effective part I’ve bought for 60’ time - immediately dropped a couple of tenths off the 60’, and have done better than that since I figured out how to tune them. I often ponder how much I’m leaving on the table with just the shocks.
110% agree. I did not spend the money initially where it would have made the most effect. I would have spent much less with what I know now.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I think if you look at most of us, myself included, we all should've done it differently had we only known. I wouldn't have bought a $400 car. I had the chance at a gorgeous, clean, M80 in 1994 before I even knew what they were. But $3500 was too much. I'm probably ten times that into mine now 😆

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor