On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(oil pan woes)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm onto the last bit of Gremlins to get sorted (I hope). The converter will be in the mail tomorrow and hopefully e back in a 10-14 days. I've pulled the rearend cover to check out for the loose pinion issue that we encountered in FL. And unbelievably all looks well. I'm installing a solid pinion spacer presently. I purchased sets of EBC YS pads for all 4 wheels and hopefully that will be enough to slow me down without smelling brakes for an hour after each run. I'm getting dang close to chute territory, or thinking ahead on these tracks with short 'run downs' after the stripe.

Some local tracks are scheduled to be open in 5-7 weeks, so there is no real hurry on anything. But I'm hoping to hit the ground running. If I can manage to get it sorted out quickly, then it might get some cosmetic fixes before the next event in July - time will tell.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
My friend ran the yellows, his were a beyotch to get bedded. They were super grabby on and off, but after bedded they were great on his Lancer. You've got a big more motor and car to stop. They're a good pad, I'm curious to see how they work for you. I drove his car on track, so I'm not just getting this second hand.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I also probably couldn't have a crush sleeve in my car :/

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Minor part purchase setback. I ordered rear pads for the Explorer that I got the rear end out of, but they aren't correct. The pads are about a 1/2" shorter. After doing some digging on Rock Auto, Summit, Advanced Auto and the EBC site I've determined that my rear calipers' pads and rotors are what came stock on mid 2000's Explorer Sport Trac. I can't tell if the caliper mounting points are the same, but they look close. But the pads and rotors do appear interchangeable with the same caliper bracket. The difference in the caliper is what put me onto it - the Sport Trac has a 'phenolic' piston, or portion of the piston, rather than a normal steel piston. The phenolic Sport Trac caliper piston has a smaller bore in the center where the inner pad clip has to be inserted.

The confirmation was a visit to the part store and comparing the pads and rotors. The Explorer has less brake pad engagement surface area than the Sport Trac. So that's a win - and I'm glad I'm not in any kind of hurry. I have no idea how the Explorer that I got the rear from wound up having the bigger rear brake setup, but.............anything is possible with JY parts.

This issue made me look back through the thread for some info (back into the single digit page numbers). It was enjoyable and a little sad on one note - those that haven't been heard from - lilbowtie - I know his health was poor :(

But Bruce and Mike's wiseassery still made me smile.

I also probably couldn't have a crush sleeve in my car :/
It was not difficult nor expensive to put in the solid pinion shim. I'd recommend to grab one and be ready to install it the next time you have your diff apart. I measured the crush spacer out of the car and it took about .015" less for the solid spacer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
While in converter jail, some back ordered stuff finally showed up

ACBCEBFB-179D-4CE0-AC77-6792DEE1B91D.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor