On the 'mildly' Cheap SS Monte Carlo chasing a 9.0____(anything less than 9.1)

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Made it to the track yesterday - FINALLY. I say finally because of the weather. The car has been on the trailer for 3 weeks ...... waiting. And the only track in my list of nearby tracks that wasn't cancelled this weekend due to the pits being a swamp was Lebanon Valley (Albany, NY area). Everything I had changed/adjusted seemed to work OK except for one. I tried moving my dome sensor reading to the intake manifold from the top of the wastegate, but all of my dome pressure PID tuning was based on the sensor being on the wastegate. The end result was hitting boost cut 2 seconds into the run - I was targeting 20psi on the 1st shakedown run, and it went right to 38psi quickly - eeks. I took enough parts to put it back to where it was previously. That lead to a hose that wasn't properly secured, and that touched the turbo and melted later.

IMG-1560.jpg IMG-1561.jpg

The good part, or I should say somewhat good. The car ran fast at sub 26psi (usually running 29-33). I pedaled on two of the runs and went 9.6 at 145 and 9.5 at 144. And of course, the best run I fubar'd big time - I lifted and hit the brakes at the 1000' stripe. This track doesn't use cones, but rather yellow stripes on the walls ....... and I goofed by mistaking the 1000' stripe for the 1320' stripe.

So the run that went the best, that I goofed on, I went a 9.4 at 133. I was somewhat disappointed after looking at the log and seeing the brake application at 8.5 seconds ;( . Oh well, that test and tune I guess.

IMG-1562.jpg

The positives to be take from the entire day were 1st, the car didn't break, I went close to my PB repeatedly while spinning or making mistakes at low boost and launching really soft - I was launching at 4-6 psi. I was launching soft because the prep was minimal with street tires being run on the same track. With everything in mind, it was a great day - certainly beat a great day at work haha.

Reactions: 8 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Made it to the track yesterday - FINALLY. I say finally because of the weather. The car has been on the trailer for 3 weeks ...... waiting. And the only track in my list of nearby tracks that wasn't cancelled this weekend due to the pits being a swamp was Lebanon Valley (Albany, NY area). Everything I had changed/adjusted seemed to work OK except for one. I tried moving my dome sensor reading to the intake manifold from the top of the wastegate, but all of my dome pressure PID tuning was based on the sensor being on the wastegate. The end result was hitting boost cut 2 seconds into the run - I was targeting 20psi on the 1st shakedown run, and it went right to 38psi quickly - eeks. I took enough parts to put it back to where it was previously. That lead to a hose that wasn't properly secured, and that touched the turbo and melted later.

View attachment 220383 View attachment 220384

The good part, or I should say somewhat good. The car ran fast at sub 26psi (usually running 29-33). I pedaled on two of the runs and went 9.6 at 145 and 9.5 at 144. And of course, the best run I fubar'd big time - I lifted and hit the brakes at the 1000' stripe. This track doesn't use cones, but rather yellow stripes on the walls ....... and I goofed by mistaking the 1000' stripe for the 1320' stripe.

So the run that went the best, that I goofed on, I went a 9.4 at 133. I was somewhat disappointed after looking at the log and seeing the brake application at 8.5 seconds ;( . Oh well, that test and tune I guess.

View attachment 220385

The positives to be take from the entire day were 1st, the car didn't break, I went close to my PB repeatedly while spinning or making mistakes at low boost and launching really soft - I was launching at 4-6 psi. I was launching soft because the prep was minimal with street tires being run on the same track. With everything in mind, it was a great day - certainly beat a great day at work haha.
What's your impression of the restalled converter? Too early to tell?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Good to see the car at the track again though! Any other plans this summer? I guess what's the goal? 8's? Reliable low 9's?

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
What's your impression of the restalled converter? Too early to tell?
It’s definitely better. It’s looser on the TB and at the release of the brake it has another 500rpm’s in it before it grabs (which is great!)

It was only dropping 1100-1200 on the shifts, as opposed in the previous 15-1600. Again which is good. The shift drop is a function of HP, so considering I had the car turned down somewhat, I’m expecting and hoping that it will work great. It is 100% a step in the right direction.

Good to see the car at the track again though! Any other plans this summer? I guess what's the goal? 8's? Reliable low 9's?

Midwest Drags and Drag Week. Some local stuff too. I’m going to try to get the traction control working and see what it will do at some local no prep events. But I’m just not a big fan of the no prep. Those guys have purpose built stuff meaning light and silly loose suspension. Maybe the traction control will help even out the 900-1000 lb advantage most of them have.

I should mention for the non Holley people, Holley released a new Terminator X version that has traction control built into it. So I expect it will work pretty well. There’s a bunch of other updates as well that might help me with a couple of things, but TC will be the largest.

The goal? 1st - always have fun and forget about all work related stress. 2nd - keeps me close to my son at the DnD events.

3rd - I want average sub 9.50 at MW Drags in July and pop out an 8 during the event.

After that I really don’t think I’m going to change the goal for the car in its current state. I definitely would like to go faster consistently. But as you know, the difference in an additional 300hp is going to start getting very expensive - and I really don’ t see myself getting that deep into it. We’ll see.

P.s. I needed to start into this when I was your age 😂😂😂😂

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Made it to a true test n tune session today. Running 1/8th only and the track prep was nonexistent lol. It was as close to no prep as I’ve ever been on.

Knocked tons and tons of power out of it to get down the track and managed to run a reasonable 60’ and ET. I believe this will apply for a couple of no prep events that I’m planning to attend.

And as always, a bad day at the track is better than a great day at work. So having a day of overcoming traction issues is a big win for me.

IMG_1583.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Went to a no prep race with the completely wrong setup, but had fun.

Here’s the location. The old Seneca Army Depot located in the Fingerlakes region between Cayuga and Seneca lake. Crazy history of this place from the WW2 era. Beautiful area far, far away from what most people think of when they here ‘New York’ :

Actually managed to win a round spinning, but having a tough time getting it to upload. I’ll try later. The end result was finishing off a set of tires and a really good time.

Remember, a bad day at the track is better than a good day at work. And a good day at the track is better than your best day at work ;) ;)

IMG_1667.jpeg IMG_1658.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Broke the shock mounts ;(

It will be better when I’m done. IMG_1683.jpeg IMG_1684.jpeg

Checking all of my junk before the next DND event that is a month away.

Bought a proper bump/scramble button.

IMG_1682.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor