One brake is failing DMV Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Hey guys,

I have a little dilemma going on I thought someone on here might be able to help me with.

Long story short my car won't pass inspection because the drivers side rear brake isn't braking hard enough. See the below pictures -
BC0B7884-5C81-4740-8667-26C8E4CD8EEA.jpeg
0345CA13-4449-47D4-867E-79D77DCF4663.jpeg

Basically there should only be less than about 100lbs difference of Force between the brake on either side of an axle. The front is fine, but the back has 92lbf on the left and 538lbf on the right.

I got a new drum, pads and springs on the back left and redid inspection and got the same results. Any idea what else it could be? I don't know much about brakes - could it be a kink in the line, or a stuck piston or something?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd beed that side to make sure there is no air in the line and if there was no air in the line then I'd change the wheel cylinder.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
That's hydraulic pressure from the master cylinder (constant) as Pontiacgp make sure there isn't any air in that line (or restriction) or the wheel cylinder might be messed up. Make sure the adjusters are working and the brakes are adjusted properly.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Stuck wheel cylinder pistons.... New wheel cylinder is only $7...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
But but but the sheet said test status was OK!!!???

Did not know they checked those kinds of things here in 'Murica. Thought it was the Canuks and Aussies that got the heavy scrutiny. Here in good 'ol redneck land, we don't even HAVE safety (or emissions) inspections anymore. Or federally accepted state IDs for that matter

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I've never seen a test like that. I'd be curious to know how they get those figures. But as stated- check for kinks, bleed ALL the lines, properly adjust, and why not do both rear wheel cylinders just because?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

86 Chevy El Camino SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2018
Va.
Hi Luke.

may the applied force be with you on your brakes. Sorry, couldn't help myself. 😁

So I'm over in Va.
Not sure how different your laws are compared to our here in Va., However I solved the inspection thing by getting antique plates for a one time $50 fee.
My car meets all inspection stuff anyhow, but there is always some wise guy trying to nickel and dime you to death on repairs that you really don't need.
I see you have a black tag on your truck, is that a specialty tag?
Here in Va., anything over 25 years is considered a antique. So I pay no inspection, no property tax, and no tag.
Just Gas and repairs are my only cost. It's also my daily driver.
Don't believe the hype either about those that say a antique tag is for only limited driving and car shows.
The laws are written loosely for that exact reason. Trust me, I've dealt with a state patrol in court on this a few years back and won.

I looked this up for you in Delaware code....,

§ 2198 Inspection.

(a) A motor vehicle registered as an antique motor vehicle shall be exempt from annual inspection. A motor vehicle must pass an initial inspection prior to the motor vehicle being registered as an antique motor vehicle. Motor vehicles registered as antique motor vehicles shall be provided EXEMPT validating stickers in lieu of the usual expiration date stickers upon passing the initial inspection.

(c) Any antique motor vehicle, registered pursuant to this section, shall be used only for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar uses, but in no event shall it be used for general transportation.

Where here in Va. it reads like this, and I use the testing & go to shop as my get out of jail card if they pull me over for the plates.
While not written in your code, it makes the same perfect common sense about the testing aspect of it. You know..., those damn carburetors are always needing adjusting. 😉

D. Antique motor vehicles and antique trailers registered with license plates issued or authorized for use under this section shall not be used for general transportation purposes, including, but not limited to, daily travel to and from the owner's place of employment, but shall only be used:

1. For participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events;

2. On the highways of the Commonwealth for the purpose of testing their operation or selling the vehicle or trailer, obtaining repairs or maintenance, transportation to and from events as described in subdivision 1, and for occasional pleasure driving not exceeding 250 miles from the residence of the owner.

So, it's a roll of the dice. I would think that the state patrol have better things to do then pull over a good conditioned el camino.
The local yokels good buddy (watched smokey and the bandit last night) will not mess with you, because it's a state enforcement.

Last edited:

Jorge1958

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2019
Columbia City Oregon
This is an interesting read. Here in Oregon they are very definitive about antique plates. I have 1 on my Monte. I drive it all over the place. Not just shows parades etc. Havent had an issue with the police yet. They really are pretty loose about them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor