One size does NOT fit all

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I just wanted to let others know if they decide to keep their stock intake on their 1979 Oldsmobile Calais H/O with the 350 or 5.7,

an Edelbrock Carb will NOT fit unless you use a spacer. The EGR casting in the intake is where the throttle linkage is and the

linkage and the casting interfere. You would need an inch or maybe two inches of spacers to get the carb linkage high enough
where it doesn't interefere with the casting.

Jegs has an awesome deal for their 1406 with air cleaner and filter and I added a square bore plate and studs and was under $400.

But it all goes back since I didn't want to use band aid (spacers) to fix the problem. Just letting others know what my experience was.

No need to open a can of worms comparing Edelbrocks and QJets and Holleys and Carters and .............let that sleeping dog lie.:sleep:

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
This is why they released the non EGR 2711 Performer manifold. Many have had issues with the 1406 carb, so it seems to be a crap shoot.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Then don't run an edelbrock on a spread bore intake... :p

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
This is why they released the non EGR 2711 Performer manifold. Many have had issues with the 1406 carb, so it seems to be a crap shoot.
I've always had good luck with the 1406 from use on my small block Corvette to my 1966 Pontiac OHC6 Tempest to others.

As I said this is NOT a debate on who makes the best carb.........it's a post to let others know before they order, they might like to know this. That is ALL this post is.
Nothing more.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You do have one of the best Qjet's from the factory. The 800 cfm castings and with most of the factory upgrades. But they are calibrated very lean in stock form, especially the idle circuit. The only reason I mentioned the Edelbrock carb being a possible issue is there have been way too many threads on Classic Olds with people spending hours and they still run like crap. One member pointed out the Edelbrock castings aren't as good as the old Carter castings, a lot of castings flash. Plus there is potential hot start issues, goes back to the sixties when they were orginal equipment. Edelbrock even states in it's Summit catalog that the Performer carb won't fit the 3711 EGR Performer manifold. I think the only reason the 2711 non EGR Performer was made was to sell more carbs. I also had to modify a throttle arm on a Thermoquad to clear the EGR boss on the Performer EGR manifold. I am curious if the Street Demon will clear, it has to do with carb width. Sorry you had to find this out the hard way.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Well as the topic says ...one size does not fit all nor does one carb work well for everyone. I am not versed well enough in the Olds engine plant
to know all the numbers. This is my first venture into the GBodies and later emission issues. All my previous dealings were with the older non
emission equipped vehicles.

Life is a learning experience and so we just chalk this one up to a lesson learned. No harm, no foul, no one died, no one got hurt and no small children
nor small pets were harmed in the making of this error.

I'ts ALL good.............

Reactions: 1 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Just an update.........I've returned the Edelbrock to Jegs and my Qjet is on it's way to Ken at Everyday Performance..............

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just an update.........I've returned the Edelbrock to Jegs and my Qjet is on it's way to Ken at Everyday Performance..............
You will be glad you did. And I'm betting all the linkage stuff will bolt right up!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor