MALIBU Only when it Rains!

Dezimade

Master Mechanic
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
I'm dealing with an issue where the wipers stop mid-cycle. When I shut them off and turn them back on, they take about 15 seconds to respond, even in heavy rain. The motor is new, and I’ve ensured that all screws on the contact are tight.

Here's the strange part: if I open the hood and touch the wiper motor with the car running, the wipers start working. Could this be a problem with the wire harness to the motor, or am I missing a connection issue that looks secure but isn’t functioning properly?

Also, the high-speed setting is giving me a loud, slapping noise, almost like an old-school 70’s wiper sound. Is there a way to modernize the entire wiper operation? First and foremost, I just need reliable wipers, especially while driving. Appreciate any insights. This has been an ongoing frustration.

Thanks,
Dez

Check groud strap under mounting screw. Soumds like a weak groud and when you touch it, it gets ground.
The placement of that strap seems intentionally difficult, likely designed by Chevy to ensure the vehicle needs to be brought in for servicing.

That said, the 1980 model offers slightly better accessibility.

The screw, as rare and elusive as the moon, is incredibly hard to reach—especially with hands my size.

In my opinion, removing the wheel well might be the only way to access it properly.

Although I managed to tighten it once, after a few storms, it's back to being unreliable. Dez Thanks.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor