oops, made my ride too firm. what should i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfcvdv

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2010
Noord holland, the netherlands
hey guys, ive been having a problem with my car for i while now and its not your typical gbody problem...

the thing is, i made my ride too firm. over the past years i changed some stuff hoping to improve my ride. but honestly, i'm really starting to miss my old cushy ride. my regal limited v8 has the following parts:
- stock springs
- bilstein shocks
- stock optional perfomance sway bars front and rear (fe3?)
- energy suspension body mounts
- 15" wheels with 235/60 tires front/ 255/60 rear

the last thing ive changed were the body mounts... and they made my car ride harsh in my opinion
but the thing is, the old bushings were worn out and i needed new ones, it seems that no more stock mounts are sold online so i had no choice.

what could be the most (cost) effective way to get back to a more cushy ride?
(FYI: i threw away most of the old parts)

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sounds like you did everything that I would've done. The Energy Suspension bushings do tend to firm up the ride, but they certainly beat old ragged stock bushings. I honestly don't think new stock type rubber bushings would be any less firm. Bilsteins will give you a firmer, yet controlled ride. I have them in my old Porsche...and I'd never go back to Konis.
I'll buy your Bilsteins....;)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you think the new body bushings made the car too harsh then change them out for the OEM bushings. Personally I don't think you'll find much of a difference with new OEM bushings and the energy mounts. Remember you are comparing the feel of new bushings compared to old worn out bushings so any new bushing will firm up the ride.

Jack, I didn't mean to plagiarize you, we think alike but you type faster then me...:(

Last edited:

pfcvdv

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2010
well i do love my bilsteins... but if i would change them to stock, how much of a change will there be?
and which aftermarket shocks have the stock feel?

Last edited:

pfcvdv

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2010
and yeah i have the suspension the way i always wanted it to be but the regal was a great boat... right now its a weird sportscoupe, i also thought about deleting the rear sway bar. just to get the rear end a bit smoother. but im concerned this would give an awkward feel, any comments on that?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sway bars do not affect the ride, they add spring rate while cornering to keep the car level

I tried to look up that shock to check it's compression setting but
"Series: Variable depending on application
B6 (HD)"

I would think that shock is ok for your ride seeing it's for a car with stock suspension

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
by your first post it sounds like everything was ok even with the shocks until you changed the body mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor