Open Headers Leading To Seized Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kygaca

Apprentice
Jul 3, 2018
Annapolis, MD
Hey guys,

I moved to Annapolis last month and had to leave my project on the street for 3 weeks before I got the chance to go back down to Norfolk and bring it back. Upon bringing it back, it seems as though the inside of my headers have some surface rust. I was curious if this will be the same case with the engine? The engine has not been started, and it doesn't have any oil in it right now, but other than the headers it is sealed.

Should I be worried? Or just prime the oil pump a bunch before starting?

It is now in my garage.

Thanks!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I leave my GP for the winter and only start it up every 4 weeks, I pull the coil wire off til I see the oil pressure build and then fire it up....

Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I wouldn't worry about it. You should definitely get oil in there and prime it, though. If it makes you feel better, pull the spark plugs and fog the cylinders with WD-40. Prime, turn it by hand 90 degrees, prime, turn 90, repeat. Hopefully, there isn't a virgin flat tappet cam in there.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I wouldn't worry about it. You should definitely get oil in there and prime it, though. If it makes you feel better, pull the spark plugs and fog the cylinders with WD-40. Prime, turn it by hand 90 degrees, prime, turn 90, repeat. Hopefully, there isn't a virgin flat tappet cam in there.

when I had an MGB I used to pull the plugs and put a bit of oil in eachb cylinder, then turn the engine over by had. Put the plugs back in a started it. One year a guy was walking by and said nice car but too bad it burns oil like that. I told him I put some STP in the oil so it should stop burning oil soon. The smoke cleared up in a minute or two and the guy was really impressed what STP could do... :popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Three weeks is nothing. Don't sweat it. Headers are made of mild steel and will rust just by looking at them. Same with exhaust pipes.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor