BUILD THREAD Opinion is the 700 R better than the 210R transmission for the monte carlo SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

1STLATIGERDIVISON

Greasemonkey
Nov 6, 2016
NW Louiwiana
I would like the opinion of anyone that believes the 700R transmission would be a better deal for me to put in my Monte Carlos SS than the OEM 210R that's in it. I want to stay with the OD but guys or whoever give me some ideas please
2nd deal is what is the best method of killing the cars ignition thru installed devices or what I no disconnecting the coil wire is one way but I would like to do it simply & hidden away from thieves that need judging brought b4 the G body court to decide there fate one thing I hate is a thief then a liar. anyway past all that everyone's opinion is appreciated, hey do consider the G-body court. I apologize to all moderators but guys I am serious bout my Monte!!
thks hope I didn't offend anyone over my sincere comments but I do need opinions on the transmission & the ignition kill system
If no one cares to comment understandable

Gary

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The 700 r4 has a granny gear for 1st and fall on it's face hitting 2nd. The 200 4r you have in your car has a better valve body than other 200 4r's so I would suggest you get yours upgraded and it'll be stronger than a stock 700 r4

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

1STLATIGERDIVISON

Greasemonkey
Nov 6, 2016
NW Louiwiana
Ok thank u muchly so what is ur upgrade recommendation plz as far as innards I rally appreciate ur response the car is strong but it doesn't shift worth a hoot just tell me ur upgrade recommendations
gary

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a stick in my GP so I'm nor sure what the upgrades are but there is few guys in here who have rebuilt their own that can help you. Do a search in the box on top on the right.

There are no spelling penalties in here and as far as typing I'm just learning to double my typing fingers and I'll be up to 4...haha

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If the transmission works well, doesnt slip, doesn't have burnt (blackish, brown that feels gritty), drop the pan and fluid. See how much material from the clutches is in the pan, if it's fairly clean, drop the valve body. Get a B&M shift kit. Shove that in there as per the directions and I'm sure there are how to's to show you what goes where. INstall the valve body TORQUE TO SPEC, most of it is in inch pounds, so get an inch pound torque wrench for like 20 bucks. Clean the pan out, new filter and pan gasket. You can install a pan with a drain plug or modify your pan if you want. Reuse the old fluid by straining it through a paint sock or panty hose into a funnel in the dipstick tube. If the fluid smells burnt, just get the transmission rebuilt. It'll cost roughly 1000-1300 including a new torque converter. Put everything back together and check the TV cable adjustment. If you did it right, even if you still have the 305 in there it will bark the tires going from 1-2 and maybe 2-3 if you manually shift it.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Oh, and for killing the ignition, you can install a shut off switch inline with the NEGATIVE battery cable, or you can install a fuel shut off in one of the fuel lines under the car. I've always thought the column locks were the easiest things to do. And make sure the wheel is locking when the key is out and it's in Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor