Opinion: Setting mileage on restored cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

SStavin

Apprentice
Apr 3, 2015
Chicagoland
I've recently installed new Guages for my restomod Monte SS and I'll need to set the odometer within 100 miles. Original odometer had 95k before I tore into the car 10 years ago. I've since swapped a 6.0L w/ 25k and swapped a refreshed frame in. On one hand I like that the car has 95k of "experience", on the other, there are more new parts than original at this point. Just curious to see some opinions.

gmtofd

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2015
I would have the odometer refer to the actual mileage , but keep a log of what is going, i.e @ 95k miles, swap mtr/trans, etc, along with the routine maintenance.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It may be legal to install a new speedometer as long as there is a sticker in the door jamb or some other location dictated by your state law (if applicable) to say the odometer had been serviced as of *** date and original mileage was 95,*** or something to that effect. It really depends on the laws of your state. Illinois USED to require an odometer disclaimer decal, but that was many many moons ago. Need to check with DMV or even talk to a dealership. They know those things as well.

The deal with that is that if your title says it had, say 25K miles on it when you titled it and if you sell it, the next guy goes to title it at 18K...it'll look fishy. And they may come after YOU. But if you had a decal in the door jamb declaring the car had 95K miles when you put the new one in, shouldn't be an issue.

I say if you can set the new odometer to read approximately what your old one did, you're golden. It's technically more for the miles on the VIN, not the engine or other pieces parts as they could be rebuilt, swapped, etc.

With that said...do what needs doing. It's up to you.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Unless you have a state specific rule, federal odometer statements are generally exempt due to age on our cars IIRC.

That said, typically if you say "odometer replaced at 95,*** with unit set at zero" you're covered. Mileage of motor is immaterial for the custom of disclosures. Keep a record of how many miles on engine/trans/rear as a selling point, but people will care more about documentation showing you legally bought the engine/trans from a wrecked (not stolen) vehicle than the miles on it from a history/paperwork standpoint. Some states require such proof....

Reactions: 2 users

SStavin

Apprentice
Apr 3, 2015
Chicagoland
I'm in Illinois so generally the state is unconcerned if the car is 10+ years and you are not actively committing fraud. I have records on everything and most likely going to keep this thing in the family so I'm just deciding on my preference. I'm leaning towards starting at 0 to keep the refreshed feeling going

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm in Illinois so generally the state is unconcerned if the car is 10+ years and you are not actively committing fraud. I have records on everything and most likely going to keep this thing in the family so I'm just deciding on my preference. I'm leaning towards starting at 0 to keep the refreshed feeling going
Then again. Unless you got a million mile odometer, in 5k miles you'll be back at zero anyways???

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I had the opposite issue. I put a different odometer in and wanted the original mileage. I had to open it and re-set the numbers. In NY after 10 years no one cares but I wanted the original miles.

• Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Pa titles have odometer codes on the title: 0-actual mileage, 1-mileage exceeds mechanical limits (rolled over max mileage 99,999 on our cars), 2-not the actual mileage, 3-not the actual mileage-odometer tampering verified, 4-exempt from odometer disclosure (trailers, mobile homes). When I transfered the title for my car from dad I was able use code 1 since the car had over 100,000 miles on it.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
On my completely custom Cougar, when I completely freshened up the drivetrain, motor brand new, trans rebuilt, and rearend completely rebuilt, custom driveshaft and exhaust, I took the original odometer and reset it to zero. I want to keep track of mileage on THESE parts and not the body. Besides, had I gone forward and changed out the gauges at that time, the speedo would have started at zero anyway.

This car will never be sold so I really don't care what the original mileage was.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor