Opinions/Comments/Advice/Rants/Etc. re Riveting Frame Boxing Plates??

Status
Not open for further replies.

texastomeh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 10, 2009
Dallas, TX
Having too much time on my hands due to some health (sciatic nerve) issues, I been doing a lot of searching the web and trying to bone up on things that I want to do after my back surgery.

One of the things that I have been reading a lot about is that one of the biggest horrors (and it appears to be justifiably so) connected with boxing a frame, is the possibility/probability of warping the frame due to uneven heating during the welding of the plates to the frame.

Has anyone tried or even considered riveting the plates to the frame rather than welding them. Say, making 10 or 12 ga. steel plates and attaching them with 1/8" diameter steel rivets spaced at appropriate intervals?

The frame in question is a G body frame to be used with a 400 SBC, a 700-R4 transmission, a 7.5" 10 bolt posi rearend under a '53 Corvette replica fiberglass body. NO DRAG RACING. just a cruising corner carver. Of course, the frame and suspension will be upgrade with other off-the-shelf braces, sway bars, shocks, bushings, springs, etc.

Thoughts/Comments/Opinions/Rants?????

Thanx,

Tom

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it is possible to warp the frame welding in the boxing plates if you don't tack a few bars across the C channel and if you try to lay one continues bead on the plates you are using to box the frame. Another good idea is to check all the factory welds and fix the poor welds and fill in what is missing. I used a stick to fix the factory welds since the metal is very hard to get clean. I would not rivet the plates in as the rivets would break eventually.

Shakes the Rat

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2016
I agree. When I was into 4x4's I would replace frame rivits with 1/2 bolts because they would loosen over time.

I wouldn't be that worried about the frame warping. It's possible but it shouldn't be an issue if you weld it properly. Measure the frame. Tack the metal in place. Measure again. Weld in one inch segments alternating sides. Jump back and forth between sides until it's completely welded. Measure again afterwards. The most important thing is to take your time welding it. If you try to weld it in twenty minutes something will move.

Just remember these frames were welded together from the factory (poorly) and they are straight. Welding a boxing plate in properly won't warp it.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
No worries at all about welding them in. Just notched my frame and had no issues what so ever with warping. BTW, just had back surgery myself in September. L5 disc was herniated. I feel 95% better. Lost a lot of range of motion, not from the surgery, but from not doing anything for the last 9 months.... Working on getting that back but it's slow. Good luck!

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
High HP and probably even rough driving will warp a frame too.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Put some braces in. Don't try to weld them in all in a single pass. Picture several small braces versus one continuous brace to attempt to box the frame.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
When I did mine I bolted the transmission support in and took my time to weld it in with about 2 inch welds at a time switching from front to back and side to side. The frame still bowed out a little at the C rails. I had to put some straps on it and winch it in to install the body bolts.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You also need to leave some access holes in the boxing plates to be able to reach the lower body bushings.

May also want to think about using flux core as it penetrates deeper at the same voltage as solid core.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor