Opinions on aftermarket steering boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I am contemplating the purchase of an aftermarket steering box for my Malibu. I've looked over some information and pricing for Borgeson, AGR, and Lee steering boxes. As far as I know, Turn One doesn't market steering boxes anymore. Anyone here have experience with any of these companies? Thanks in advance.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a Borgeson in my Regal works perfectly no regrets I also have their steering shaft

Reactions: 1 user

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I know that some companies talk about "firm" or "rack and pinion" valving in their steering boxes. Is there a noticeable difference in the "feel" of the aftermarket box? Is the on-center feel better?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I bought remanufactured boxes for both of my cars that were rebuilt by Lares. Theyre a rebuild company in MN. They have a website. Bought two close ratio boxes through advanceauto. Easier then rockauto because of shipping costs for the core.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Jeff, I bought an AGR unit for The Juggernaut from Summit a few years back. Unfortunately I haven’t had the chance to test/use it, but out of the box I was impressed with the quality. Quick ratio, only 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. The price was fairly reasonable too from what I recall.

Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Have you called T1 to see if they still do boxes? They did the pump and rack in my road race Camaro and it's been perfect since. *Knocks on wood*
Just checked their website. They're still not selling new steering boxes, due to supply issues with some parts, but they do offer rebuilding services. I'm looking for a new box.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Jeff, I bought an AGR unit for The Juggernaut from Summit a few years back. Unfortunately I haven’t had the chance to test/use it, but out of the box I was impressed with the quality. Quick ratio, only 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. The price was fairly reasonable too from what I recall.
Thanks Donovan. The AGR box is only roughly $50CDN more than the Borgeson box on the Summit website. I believe the LEE box is about $775USD. Even just for looks, I was leaning towards the AGR box.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The reviews on Summit for the AGR steering box are not very kind

edfiero

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 2, 2022
I have the Borgeson box. I think it is the 14:1 ratio. Which is nice, but I am use to the 12.7:1 ratio so it is a little slow for me. But otherwise its a nice / quality unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor