Opinions on aftermarket steering boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's like anything else aftermarket. Go with a respected and highly-rated company, and you'll usually get a product that will satisfy your needs/wants.

GM had boxes built for zillions of vehicles but cost considerations were always a factor. While fairly durable/reliable as-is, they definitely could use improvements/tweakings to get them to tip-top operating conditions. This is where those specialty companies come into play that deal specifically in steering and suspension. I think there's some that even build their own boxes from the ground up. Use their knowledge. It's like going to Dave Husek for a TH200-4R build. It'll come out way better than a stock 200-4R could ever be. May have to spend a little coin, but buy once, cry once.

Reactions: 1 users

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
I've had the TurnOne box in my 87 for several years now and absolutely love it. That's unfortunate if they're not selling them anymore? I will say it was very expensive compared to the others I looked at at the time, but it's been great imho. Had one of the cheepo ($150) boxes from RockAuto pop the pitman seal out because they didn't seat the snap ring properly, see thread below.

I've come to believe in that adage of you get what you pay for in most cases.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor