OPINIONS WANTED: Best G-body Pre-bent Brake Line Vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Many came out of Classic Tube, Chevy truck and Jeep were big sellers until Dorman came in with their China lines. Much of Summit and Jegs OE steel and stainless coil brake line comes out of Classic Tube.
You may be exactly right. I went back and looked at my summit account and all the pre bent brake lines I purchased from them were Right Stuff. I see they still offer them but it doesn’t look like they keep them in stock anymore. Maybe they switched like you say.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Ive bought line sets from Inline and Classic. Both were decent quality. I had Classic custom bend two of the same lines for my Malibus. They were the front brake line that crosses over the cradle. I needed to reroute them due to header tube clearance. The fit like a glove. Matched the sample I sent them 100%.
As far as OEM line, you have to know that the line youre going to get isnt from the 80s. Its just whatever the parts department had on the shelf. That being said, have you ever looked at the brake lines on never GM vehicles ? They rust to death. Junk. We had a mint 03 Tahoe that we bought new. The truck was perfect. Ran great. Every inch of metal line looked like it was ready to fall apart. My 05 and my 11 were the same way.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Brake lines on my 2010 GMC look perfectly fine after 10 years of sitting outside and never getting any love. The entire chassis looks almost as good as new underneath. Of course, we have no salt or ice/snow to speak of. I'm thinking it's not going to matter a whole lot if I get the stock steel lines or stainless. Whatever looks closest to stock...

OH! Just recalled I have an NOS set of M/C to combination valve corkscrew pipes. I think that's the only pre-bent lines that GM sold for G-body.

Reactions: 2 users

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
Probably 18 years ago, I talked to the Owner of the Right Stuff at the Canfield swap meet. He didn't have the patterns for a 1971 Oldsmobile Royale convertible. He told me to cut the lines flush at the fittings, label all ends, I used wide masking and labeled everything. Fold the lines and send to them. He sent me back a steel set, they fit like they were made for the car! :)•》plus the new word that's popular today, FREE. I've always cut the lines off flush, wire brush around the fittings and soak them a few times, use a 6 point socket. I know regular steel lines will last me for the rest of my life.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Brake lines on my 2010 GMC look perfectly fine after 10 years of sitting outside and never getting any love. The entire chassis looks almost as good as new underneath. Of course, we have no salt or ice/snow to speak of. I'm thinking it's not going to matter a whole lot if I get the stock steel lines or stainless. Whatever looks closest to stock...

OH! Just recalled I have an NOS set of M/C to combination valve corkscrew pipes. I think that's the only pre-bent lines that GM sold for G-body.

Maybe you live in a dry area. Im in NY.
Everything rusts. LOL

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maybe you live in a dry area. Im in NY.
Everything rusts. LOL
Not lately. Been raining for DAYS. I thought the earth moved and I ended up in Seattle. But here in South Carolina, rusty chassis parts isn't much of an issue. Not saying it won't rust, because some of the cars along the coast...but I'm closer to the Augusta National Golf Club (The Masters) than I am to the coast.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Not lately. Been raining for DAYS. I thought the earth moved and I ended up in Seattle. But here in South Carolina, rusty chassis parts isn't much of an issue. Not saying it won't rust, because some of the cars along the coast...but I'm closer to the Augusta National Golf Club (The Masters) than I am to the coast.
Im on Long Island. Between the dampness and the salt they use on the roads when it snows it seems frames and lines rust pretty quick.
With a little luck I might be off this over taxed sandbar soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor