Optima battery ???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I have a Optima Red Top battery which I bought in 2016 if I leave the battery in the car hooked it will not crank so I charged the battery that ran the car unhook the battery and now when I go to crank it after a couple of weeks I gets nothing but a click but I can jump the battery right off and it runs are Optima batteries gone bad mines says made in Mexico what kind of battery do you suggest I'm thinking a Interstate Battery

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i think when those types of battery's die you can't use a standard battery charger to bring it back.something like hook up a battery charger and a known good battery together and charge it.i replaced my delco gold two months ago that i purchased in 2016,it didn't give any warning,i came out the restaurant and nothing

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I always use battery maintainers to keep my batteries fully charged when not in use and I have 3 cars with Optima's.

Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what kind of battery charger are you using?. I use a CTeck charger that 7002 that has a setting for a dry cell and a recondition setting. If you were charging Red Top with less than 10.5 volts with a conventional charger it will not charge it, you need to have another wet cell battery to charge and then piggyback the red top off of the wet cell while it is charging. The CTek can charge a dead Red Top

• Winner

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I can just use a regular battery charger and put it on fast charge and it will crank in like 20 seconds this is the only optima battery I have problems with it says made in Mexico my other three Optima batteries can sit for times and will start

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
i used to put the tender on it when i wasn't using it more than a day or so.kinda surprised but then again I'm not the way things are made these days..

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
My Optima Red Top battery is at least 10 years old now and still works just fine. As 565BBC mentioned, I think that a battery tender is crutial for any car that sits inactive for long periods of time.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I use a Optima blue top, been in the car for atleast 7 years without a problem.

Car sits atleast 5 month in winter an l barely drive it the rest of the year. It has a trick to open the hood(my anti-thief) so l never charge it or unhook it. Always just turn key and go.

My RV has 2 of the Blue tops as back up batteries without an issue also never a problem. Only get used in the system when it's running and when RV is being used without generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor