O'Reilly's part quality vs competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
We finally got an O'Reilly's close to me, they just opened one up about a mile or two from my house. I took a stroll through the store for the first time today and saw that they carry Wix which is cool, no other chain store carries them except NAPA where they are sold as their in-house brand. Also O'Reilly's turns brakes and flywheels which is cool since Pepboys stopped doing that a few years ago. Now that I have O'Reilly's as an option I'm wondering what their parts quality is like compared to AutoZone or Advance? Advance is the farthest away, though their stuff has been vastly improved since they acquired Carquest but I still wouldn't put them on quite the same level as NAPA. AutoZone has the best rewards program but their Duralast parts are hit and miss on quality. Seemed to me that the Duralast stuff used to be better. For the past few years I've been buying parts from RockAuto and oil from Walmart. I'm fine with continuing to do that, but I'm genuinely curious what people think of O'Reilly's.

• Creative
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
We had the Franks' Auto Supermarket changed to O'Reilly's in Indiana after they bought them. Their stuff seems to be OK. Only issue I had (& might of been cause Sears installed the part due to the timing) was with a house branded front wheel bearing for the POS '08 Silverado. It made the ABS fail & the pigtail wouldn't connect correctly. Other than that I've had so far good results with what I installed on the Santa Fe, the current Silverado, everything else on the POS. But things may be better at the store I go to cause they retained almost all the old Franks' people who inturn have been making sure the scrubs off the street have an idea on what to do.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
In these parts, O'reilly is the least of the available evils.

They, like Autozone, have gone to more private label stuff, but can get the top-tier stuff (usually).

Here's a recent anecdote....I was replacing the pins and bushings in the coupe doors. They carry the Dormans in the Help! line in the store, $7.99 for a single pin and 2 bushings. When you look online, they also have Dormans in a box, 2 pins and 4 bushings for $5.99. Special order, week to get, then a surprise of $7.77 freight . WTF would you not stock those in the warehouse?

Which leads to this: this is why I buy stuff for the projects or future maintainence from Rockauto. The 2 pack od pins and bushings at Rock was $4.40. Sure, there'll be shipping, but if you buy enough stuff, it spreads the shipping cost per-part out to where it doesn't really hurt.

I will say, store staff makes a difference, the store manager of the one we use at work was recently transferred to another store, new guy isn't as good.

I miss the "old" parts stores of the past, especially the independents, but even the Big A's and bumper-to-bumper stores I grew up using.

Forgot to add, I almost never buy the house brand stuff, usually go for the major names.

Last edited:

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
I use oriellys for almost all my new parts. I spend a little more and always by the better part.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That's nice to know! I've not been in there since the change!

They are my first choice even though I have an A&G at a walking distance from the house. Advance in Indiana was OK until a few years ago & they seem lost most of the time, the new Auto Zone seems under stock & not sure the quality of the help. Compaired to Johnstown locations of of Advance & Auto Zone I rather wait until I pass thru Indiana after work.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
They are my first choice even though I have an A&G at a walking distance from the house. Advance in Indiana was OK until a few years ago & they seem lost most of the time, the new Auto Zone seems under stock & not sure the quality of the help. Compaired to Johnstown locations of of Advance & Auto Zone I rather wait until I pass thru Indiana after work.

If you go to Johnstown, shwartz is good. No left over wyo-techers working there, just older guys who know what their talking about!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Which one, Richland or Moxham location? I used to read both location meters for Penelec until the smart meters when live on both routes but never went in.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Moxam, they still have a full machine shop running in the back. Richland is the same store, most older parts in moxam. Richland mostly newer parts.

Reactions: 1 user

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Nice to have one around when you really need something - if my store don't have it they can get it from the warehouse within 2 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor