Original cars and concepts h/o hood scoop seller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I found 2 people advertising on hurstolds classifieds, selling supposedly original nos cars and concepts 83/84 hurst olds hood scoops and moulding kits. I spoke with one of them and he seemed knowledgeable about them but doesnt take paypal or credit cards. The price wasnt bad other than they never got back with me a shipping quote. Does that throw a flag when someone only wants to take a check only. Theres no recourse or protection if you dont get the item. I dont want to say names ,not knowing if its allowed here. If anybody has any thoughts on this or experience with sellers from this site i would like to know. Thanks

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I’ve had quite a few great buying experiences from this forum,BUT about 2 years ago I got burned and the a-hole left the forum. Ask the potential seller if he’s sold to any other members. If he has, ask who and PM them for they’re opinion of him and the transaction.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Is it Don Hartmann? (of A Little Different fame- is he even still alive??) If so, he's always been a straight shooter with me. He had a lot of the hood trim and hands down the best repro H/O decal kit I've ever seen. He was selling H/O parts like this about 15 years ago. That's the only person I know that may have some of these scoops. If his initials are R.M. from the midwest.... ummmmmm…...

As far as original nos cars and concepts hood scoops, who cares? It's a non-moveable part that doesn't wear out and as long as it's not cracked, has missing or broken mounting studs, or dropped or smashed with a hammer, you can use a used one, as long as you can verify it's an original part. They're pretty hefty and durable- heavier than they look. If you want, I have a spare scoop I can take pics of underneath because that's what counts. Make sure they're sending you pics of the underside, too.

84 cars also used a black decal in the rear section to simulate an open scoop. Most people just paint them. Of course, knowing me I might have one, I just checked- I do have one of those decals somewhere.... :rolleyes:

As far as payment, perhaps this person has gotten burned from previous unscrupulous buyers who buy a part, get it, complain that they got a broken part, send back broken part to seller and paypal or credit card companies MAKE him refund the a-sshat buyer, and made to eat the cost and he loses a good part in the process. With a check, he has total control of refunds. I prefer money orders so I know the money should be good. But if you want the part, you pay the person the way they want to be paid or you won't get said part.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If his name's initials are J.P. from Michigan, it's ok. Make sure he sends you pics of each stud and the underside area. Just to make sure.

Always ask for odd pics of some detail to know the person isn't trying to send you "stock" photos of something.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Is it Don Hartmann? (of A Little Different fame- is he even still alive??) If so, he's always been a straight shooter with me. He had a lot of the hood trim and hands down the best repro H/O decal kit I've ever seen. He was selling H/O parts like this about 15 years ago. That's the only person I know that may have some of these scoops. If his initials are R.M. from the midwest.... ummmmmm…...

As far as original nos cars and concepts hood scoops, who cares? It's a non-moveable part that doesn't wear out and as long as it's not cracked, has missing or broken mounting studs, or dropped or smashed with a hammer, you can use a used one, as long as you can verify it's an original part. They're pretty hefty and durable- heavier than they look. If you want, I have a spare scoop I can take pics of underneath because that's what counts. Make sure they're sending you pics of the underside, too.

84 cars also used a black decal in the rear section to simulate an open scoop. Most people just paint them. Of course, knowing me I might have one, I just checked- I do have one of those decals somewhere.... :rolleyes:

As far as payment, perhaps this person has gotten burned from previous unscrupulous buyers who buy a part, get it, complain that they got a broken part, send back broken part to seller and paypal or credit card companies MAKE him refund the a-sshat buyer, and made to eat the cost and he loses a good part in the process. With a check, he has total control of refunds. I prefer money orders so I know the money should be good. But if you want the part, you pay the person the way they want to be paid or you won't get said part.
R.M. was one of the sellers bit i never heard back from him at all after sending an email. The other seller i called and spoke to had initials J.P. from lansing michigan. I would defiantly take any pics and measurements available since I'm trying to cover a hole in my hood that was cut out many years ago.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you have a hole in your hood, seal it up. Putting an H/O scoop on it will NOT prevent water from eventually seeping in and finding it's way into the engine compartment. Also, NON-H/O hoods had an extra hole punched in it (only difference between an H/O hood and a non-H/O hood) that is located under area that would be covered by the scoop. Again, seal up any and all holes that the scoop would cover before installing scoop.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
From Gbodyolds.com:

Rear right and left hole is exactly 4.5" from rear edge of hood, just center the scoop and draw a straight line where the side stud is parallel to the center line and mark 4.5" from rear, drill 3/8" hole.

Assuming the rear hood trim is removed? Regardless, the idea is to have the scoop centered over the center hood trim indentation on the hood, and the rear edge of the scoop end up right next to the front edge of the rear hood trim when installed. And seal the studs/holes with some sort of sealant/gasket to prevent water from getting in.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
If you have a hole in your hood, seal it up. Putting an H/O scoop on it will NOT prevent water from eventually seeping in and finding it's way into the engine compartment. Also, NON-H/O hoods had an extra hole punched in it (only difference between an H/O hood and a non-H/O hood) that is located under area that would be covered by the scoop. Again, seal up any and all holes that the scoop would cover before installing scoop.
This is what I'm dealing with . I'm trying to locate another hood eventually and want to the correct stuff to transfer over
IMG_20190518_082721.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor