MONTE CARLO Original Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSPilot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2018
Hello to the forum, been watching for years. Decided to finally get involved. First my story: Retired Army Blackhawk Pilot and retired from the civilian helicopter world. Flew oilfield workers out of Louisiana for 17 years. Settled down in the Pensacola, FL area, finally getting around to working on my SS that I last drove in 2005. My SS story: I was sitting in a fast-food place in Killeen, TX eating lunch with a couple Army buddies, this was Dec '83. I was a Huey pilot in the 2nd Armored Div at Ft Hood at the time. I saw a transport truck full of Monte Carlo SS's, it was heading down Hwy 190 thru town. I had already seen a couple of them driving around town but didn't know that much about them. I assumed that the truck was heading to Copperas Cove. After work that day I grabbed the wife and went Connell Chevrolet in Copperas Cove. I think that dealership is long gone. We had the pick of the litter, that truck had dropped off at least 6 SS's. They only came in 2 colors in '84, we chose a white ext/blue int, bucket seat, console, pretty much all the power options available at the time. It had a full sticker price of $13,450.00, built in Arlington, TX on Dec 19, 1983, we drove it home that day Dec 28th. It is one of the last with a TH350C 3sp auto, sometime in Jan84 I think the switchover to the TH200-4R started. The car was a family car for a while, then became the second car garage queen, still have it. I'm in the process of a total redo, nothing crazy no race car stuff. The basic outline- Blueprint forged 383 (377) with Edelbrock port FI, Billet Specialties accessory drive, American racing long tubes and full SS exhaust, TKO 5-spd conversion from Silver Sport, GN 8.5" 10 bolt. Suspension is a mix of Global West control arms, Hotchkis sway bars and springs. Brakes are a conservative upgrade from stock, going with 12" 1LE front rotors and Wilwood D52 calipers
3948.jpg
. Changing interior to black with leather seats, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital dash, 5 speed stick on the hump with no console. Too many details to mention, I'm trying to end up with a good driving car with decent power, a manual trans and vintage looks. A pic of the frame on Centerline Convo Pros that I got in '92, (going with 17's eventually). I'm sure many are thinking, wow that's alot to spend on a car worth maybe $15,000 and not even going LS. I agree but, I'll never sell this car, it will be passed down eventually.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

dmac35242

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2021
Birmingham, AL
Congrats on keeping it all these years. I bought my 1984 in 2005. It'll never sell it. Too many memories.
Thats a fine looking frame & chassis you have there.
As a side note, you seem to think like me. All original, no thanks. I'm not concerned with how much I could get for my car. It's all about the design in my head.
Stay after it. You've made good progress.

Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Pretty awesome. I purposely did not keep track of what I spent on my car and don't care about the value. My son is getting it when I meet my maker. Welcome from SW Georgia

SSPilot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2018
Nice being able to hold it all these years & every PCS. Now what are you using for spindles for the D52 brakes?
I found a pair of NOS Impala spindles a few years ago, PN: 18016024 and 18021052. These spindles are taller than Gbody, I'm using Global West upper control arms to make it all work PN: CNR-88A. Also using an Impala master cylinder Raybestos PN: MC39328. I have not installed the D52 calipers yet, when I assembled my rolling chassis I had Impala Calipers that I will take off. I will need different brake hoses, I verified that the banjo end of the Russell hoses on there now are M10 thread and the D52's are 7/16"-20.

Reactions: 3 users

SSPilot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2018
Pretty awesome. I purposely did not keep track of what I spent on my car and don't care about the value. My son is getting it when I meet my maker. Welcome from SW Georgia
Thanks for the welcome, my wife and I are from Columbus, GA. Haven't lived there since high school though.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I found a pair of NOS Impala spindles a few years ago, PN: 18016024 and 18021052. These spindles are taller than Gbody, I'm using Global West upper control arms to make it all work PN: CNR-88A. Also using an Impala master cylinder Raybestos PN: MC39328. I have not installed the D52 calipers yet, when I assembled my rolling chassis I had Impala Calipers that I will take off. I will need different brake hoses, I verified that the banjo end of the Russell hoses on there now are M10 thread and the D52's are 7/16"-20.
I knew that guys used '73-'77 A & '70-'81 F spindes but never would of thought '91 up B spindles would of been an option. I thought the matching A or F hoses were also used.

Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
Great progress. When the plan is to never sell the car and pass it on to junior when we kick the bucket, the money spent and resale value doesn't matter. It's the enjoyment you get from it while your butt is still in the driver's seat.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor