Original rear light function (from a Euro car...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insubordination

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2012
Norway
First, sorry for what is going to be a very basic question, but I've hit a wall with this - and the 79 Service Manual does not show wagon specific rear wiring, so I'm doubting my own reasoning here.

What is the original US light function for all four bulbs at each rear light?
  • The white is B/U that is a given
  • The bulb next to it is running light, stop light AND turn signal? How does the turn signal "work" - does it dim the stop light if braking, and brighten the running light if not braking? So confused.
  • The two outer bulbs are just running lights, with no stop and/or turn - or?
The reason I'm asking is that I've got a Cutlass wagon that has the US rear lights lenses, but the wiring was eally butchered up when the car was new to change the function of the rear lights to become "euro". The quality of the electrical job is extraordinary crappy and they should've been fired!

I trying to make the lights original, and then afterwards make some sort of alternative connector so that I can make them euro again just by changing connector, if possible.

This is what they have done, as of todays detective work:
  1. They disconnected the connector to the B/U switch on the column
  2. They cut the white wire at the brake switch, and ran a new wire from the old white on the switch aaall the way back to where the rear body connector for the lights is.
  3. This new wire is connected to both Dark Green and Yellow wire to make stop lights at bulb beside the original B/U light.
  4. They wired the turn signal wires to each B/U light wires
  5. Result is no B/U light to make Euro turn signals. This passes inspection.
I think that is it. I had to stop working before a final conclusion was achieved.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
First, sorry for what is going to be a very basic question, but I've hit a wall with this - and the 79 Service Manual does not show wagon specific rear wiring, so I'm doubting my own reasoning here.

What is the original US light function for all four bulbs at each rear light?
  • The white is B/U that is a given
  • The bulb next to it is running light, stop light AND turn signal? How does the turn signal "work" - does it dim the stop light if braking, and brighten the running light if not braking? So confused.
  • The two outer bulbs are just running lights, with no stop and/or turn - or?
The reason I'm asking is that I've got a Cutlass wagon that has the US rear lights lenses, but the wiring was eally butchered up when the car was new to change the function of the rear lights to become "euro". The quality of the electrical job is extraordinary crappy and they should've been fired!

I trying to make the lights original, and then afterwards make some sort of alternative connector so that I can make them euro again just by changing connector, if possible.

This is what they have done, as of todays detective work:
  1. They disconnected the connector to the B/U switch on the column
  2. They cut the white wire at the brake switch, and ran a new wire from the old white on the switch aaall the way back to where the rear body connector for the lights is.
  3. This new wire is connected to both Dark Green and Yellow wire to make stop lights at bulb beside the original B/U light.
  4. They wired the turn signal wires to each B/U light wires
  5. Result is no B/U light to make Euro turn signals. This passes inspection.
I think that is it. I had to stop working before a final conclusion was achieved.
Check the Malibu Racing wire diagrams, it should be some help as all G-body wagon tail lights should be the same.

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
They did it correctly, more-or-less. A guy here wired in some yellow LED strips on his Cutlass. You would just need to move from the reverse housings to new signals.
The brake and turn combine in the turn switch at the column- white in from brake, yellow and dk grn to the rear.
You could do it with a harness from an 87, high mount brake light equipped car, but the standard harness doesn't have enough wires without sacrificing another function.

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Are you going back to using Euro lenses on your Cutlass Cruiser, or wiring for US type taillights?
I found a decent wiring diagram in one of my Malibu repair manuals. It's a Haynes manual titled Chevrolet Chevelle 1969- 1987. Of course, it also covers El Camino. For my brake lights, I wired an independent lead from the brake light switch to the taillight itself. I bypassed the plug. Oh, btw, I'm using Euro lenses. Does the safety laws in Norway require you to use European lenses? I know in certain countries it is a requirement. Like France, Switzerland, and maybe Germany...not sure.
I'll look at the wiring diagram and see if I can help you.

Reactions: 2 users

popeye1978

Greasemonkey
Jul 4, 2014
I may be the guy that fleming442 is referring to, check the thread Rear Amber Turn Signals in '86 Cutlass for my "Adapter Harness"

As to your Question #2, when everything is stock the taillights use a two-filament bulb:
  • One filament is wired as a running light when the parking/headlights are on
  • The other filament -- as you've seen -- is wired to be a stop & turn signal. Turn signal takes precedence over stop, all of that is controlled via mechanical switches in the Turn Signal Switch [assembly]

Reactions: 1 users

Insubordination

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2012
Norway
Are you going back to using Euro lenses on your Cutlass Cruiser, or wiring for US type taillights?
I found a decent wiring diagram in one of my Malibu repair manuals. It's a Haynes manual titled Chevrolet Chevelle 1969- 1987. Of course, it also covers El Camino. For my brake lights, I wired an independent lead from the brake light switch to the taillight itself. I bypassed the plug. Oh, btw, I'm using Euro lenses. Does the safety laws in Norway require you to use European lenses? I know in certain countries it is a requirement. Like France, Switzerland, and maybe Germany...not sure.
I'll look at the wiring diagram and see if I can help you.
I'm going to use the US lenses. That's what is on the car. I need to redo all the wiring cause it's all rotten and falling apart. So, I can just copy what they did, no problem, and have the b/u lights as turn signals (with orange bulb) and presto - EURO approved. So no, we don't need EURO lenses. With this setup, we have what is required.

But I have just devised a wiring schematic with a couple of connectors that (I hope) will make me able to flip back and forth between US and EURO setup by just plugging a different connector in under the car - and one under the column.

I just want the US lights, cause thats just cooler here where we never see it. It's not legal, but I just don't care. If my evil wiring schematic works, it's a matter of seconds to change over :) That is why I had to ask how the US lights actually functions.

Insubordination

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2012
Norway
I may be the guy that fleming442 is referring to, check the thread Rear Amber Turn Signals in '86 Cutlass for my "Adapter Harness"

As to your Question #2, when everything is stock the taillights use a two-filament bulb:
  • The other filament -- as you've seen -- is wired to be a stop & turn signal. Turn signal takes precedence over stop, all of that is controlled via mechanical switches in the Turn Signal Switch [assembly]
Thank you so much! Great answer, and just what I needed.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013

Yep, that's what I was thinking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor