over 13 volts at batt, 12.86 at alternator, no key start, no interior lights?? PROBLEM SOLVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Wow, parked the car for the holiday weekend and come back and now this.
The battery shows over 13 volts between the terminals.
Hot wire to alternator on back shows over 12.
No interior lights when I open door.
No ignition when I turn the switch. Not even a click.
I took battery cables off and cleaned and retightened. Nothing......
where do I go now?

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I have headlights parking lights seems everything off the light switch.........and dash lights..........
but when I open the door no courtesy lights and like I said key does nothing.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I had this once before and solved it by cleaning and repositioning the two battery cables.
I drove the car in to the garage Firday, put it on the battery tender and come back and this...
i removed and repositioned the cables and still nothing. And tightened. The lights are
bright so the battery must have a full charge.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Power to the ignition switch has been interrupted, or the switch itself is bad or not adjusted properly.

Looks like I have a bad place on the ignition switch where there's no power. Unlocked the steering column and turned the wheel
and re locked the column. Then tried to start and I now have ignition and lights again. This car is going to be the death of me.........

Thanks for the post............

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If you're going to replace the switch, TAKE THE OLD ONE WITH YOU. The tilt and standard columns have different switches, and I've seen them boxed incorrectly. Do a bunch of stare and compare at the parts counter......

• Agree

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
If you're going to replace the switch, TAKE THE OLD ONE WITH YOU. The tilt and standard columns have different switches, and I've seen them boxed incorrectly. Do a bunch of stare and compare at the parts counter......
Point taken.........thanks

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Gonna be hard to tell. IIRC, the plugs and mounting are the same, the real difference is where the tilt switch is PULLED. The non-tilt switch is PUSHED to operate.

The GM part number for the NON-tilt is 1990115
Number for the tilt is 1990116.

If you buy a Delco/GM part, the last three numbers are inkstamped onto the plastic plug section. Of course, if the idiot stamping them sets it up wrong....

If you like aftermarket parts (cost difference is minimal) The GM switches can be had new for less than 20 bucks shipped on ebay.

Standard Motor Products numbers are:
Non-tilt: US95
Tilt: US105

BWD
NON-tilt: CS84
Tilt: CS83

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Gonna be hard to tell. IIRC, the plugs and mounting are the same, the real difference is where the tilt switch is PULLED. The non-tilt switch is PUSHED to operate.

The GM part number for the NON-tilt is 1990115
Number for the tilt is 1990116.

If you buy a Delco/GM part, the last three numbers are inkstamped onto the plastic plug section. Of course, if the idiot stamping them sets it up wrong....

If you like aftermarket parts (cost difference is minimal) The GM switches can be had new for less than 20 bucks shipped on ebay.

Standard Motor Products numbers are:
Non-tilt: US95
Tilt: US105

BWD
NON-tilt: CS84
Tilt: CS83
Thx for the information.........yes mine is a pull tilt.............I usually buy as close to OE parts for jobs I only want to do ONCE,
Aftermarket......if it's an easy repair I'll go that way.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It's not bad: drop the under dash panels, 2 nuts on the column, unplug, and replace.... Don't try to do it without dropping the column; you'll throw wrenches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor