Over heating issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge84hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2019
Hey guys, need some help here, I recently finished my olds 350 build and installed it in my 84 hurst. Im having over heating issue, it’s not a stock build, increase compression to 10.25:1, stock rebuild 7 heads, 504/504 lift cam and .030 bored over. I’m running an electric fan 16” (2000cfm), I have it set to run at 160 degrees, no air pockets in coolant system, I’m Still having over heating issues. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Malibu795

Apprentice
May 13, 2019
How hot are you getting?

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Is overheating more in town , highway, or both? As recently discussed here, overheating on highway only & not in town is more linked to inadequate radiator, not fan. In traffic , fan is bigger issue. Many use dual fans these days, poor quality or improperly setup electric fans won't pull enough air. Fans need to shroud to radiator sufficiently to do their job. CFM ratings on fans can be misleading but 2000 doesn't sound like much, unless it's an expensive under rated brand.
Fan only being issue may be fine on highway.
What sort of radiator & age?
What brand of fan for what $ amount & is it mounted & wired to pull , not push?
Also timing , lean condition & poor waterpump are considerations.

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/why-...verheats-on-highways.73603/page-6#post-703322

Jorge84hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2019
It’s over heating while idling, the radiator is new ( a week old) stock style, fan is wired to pull, was able to use my stock shroud and fitted fan in it. Car hasn’t been on the road yet, fan brand it’s a jegs branded fan. And for timing I’m at 12 degree base timing, I’m running Fitech fuel injection system, so I don’t believe I’m having lean condition.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Sounding like mainly fan ain't cutting it. Tried a universal fan about that size years ago on cutlass with older stock 350. Didn't take much idling to get too hot.
Any chance you got a mechanical fan just to try out in stock shroud. Besides possibly being too weak, fan probably not pulling through enough area of radiator. Is it one of them with the 4 corner pull through radiator ties? They suck, but not in a good way airflow wise.:oops:
As a possible low cost alternative, there are fans from numerous available salvage vehicles that can give you twin fans & cover entire radiator. I have 98 to 02" camaro units I made brackets for, but there are models from ford Taurus , etc that can work. Will need twin relays for adequate power to not burn up wiring.
A radiator fan is like a vacuum cleaner, if a hose has a leak or is too far away, it can't suck hard enough. Something just sounds bad about your setup. Can you send a pic tomorrow?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What clearance was put in with the Speedpro pistons? I assume they were used and the instructions are wrong. You need .004" or overheating will occur.

Reactions: 1 user

Jorge84hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2019
Thanks for help guys! I reinstalled my mechanical fan and it took care of my over heating issues!

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor