CUTLASS Overloaded High Beams

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamProbableCause

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 6, 2017
PROBLEM: After overloading the high beams The only way to get lights was to hold the hi/low beam switch in the back position. All other lights work properly besides the headlights.

CAR: 1983 Cutlass 307

DETAILS: So, after wrenching on my car for 24hrs straight getting it ready for an off-road rally, all I had left was to wire up the new off-road lights in the grill. I was planning on running a relay off the highbeams to power the off-road lights, however I accidentally broke the waterproof relay I was planning on using. So I figured, what the hell, and wired them directly into my headlights, not a great idea, I know. I figured if it was too much, it would blow the fuse, in which case I'd just disconnect them, and replace the fuse.

My gf/co-driver was driving to the rally, I was driving the chase truck, when the high beams quite working. We pulled over, I cut and taped off the high beam wires leading to the new lights. About 20min later as we pulled into camp, the low beams stopped working also.

The only way to get lights was to hold the hi/low beam switch in the back position. All other lights work properly besides the headlights. No blown fuses that I can find. Any help is appreciated!

received_1957754484276828.jpeg

TeamProbableCause

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 6, 2017
I'll start with replacing the dimmer switch, and see how things go from there. Can't believe these cars don't have a fuse for the headlights, that seems crazy.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have had the lights die out like you describe when the dimmer switch crapped out.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor