PAINLESS WIRING...Not So Painless After All.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I put a Painless wiring kit in my Nova. The old window wiper harness had caught on fire. Luckily I was around the car when it happened and got it out right away. Also my dad wired the dash with the same 16 gauge red wire for everything. I also found wirenuts. So I gutted the factory wire and put a Painless kit in. Guess what? The wiper harness was the problem and was not included in the kit. I still do not have wipers. The kit was nice, but for the price I would now just make my own. That was 13 years ago. I know how to solder and unpin connectors now.

Reactions: 5 users

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
My son and I completely rewired my 83 GP -- took out all the original wiring and put in a Painless "18-Circuit Universal GM Keyed Steering Column Wiring Harness" (#10201). We also completely re-wired my son's 73 Camaro with a similar system. I won't go into "this is better than that" -- just stating what I did. The Painless harness has all wires nicely labeled along the full length of each wire and the colour codes match (for the most part) the original GM colours. This makes it easy to reference the original GM service manual. We were satisfied with the quality of the harness. One area that, in my opinion, needs improvement is the Installation Manual. Also, cost is on the high side, but is comparable to other manufacturers.

The only reason we went with a kit rather than making our own harness is that the wires are all labeled and numbered. This makes it much easier to troubleshoot down the road. Also, some of the odd GM colours are hard to get. BTW -- both cars started on the first try! We were happy campers :giggle: !!

This is not an endorsement of the product -- just stating my experience. It's up to the OP to make up his own mind. Good luck!

GP Electrical 01.jpg GP Electrical 02.jpg
GP Electrical 03.jpg GP Electrical 04.jpg
GP Electrical 05.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
Looking through some of the manufacturers listed, the Ron Francis access 24/7 kit catches my attention with a few features... It has 3 relays installed (including a 20 amp for fuel pump) integral to the panel which and says you can add 4 more relays to it. It is "detachable" with 18" of movement. Instead of crimping connectors on wires it looks like this guy uses plugs...

Any of you considered this setup?

MadMonte

Greasemonkey
Apr 18, 2015
York, Pa
Sorry for the late response but I pulled the trigger on a power 20 kit from American Autowire today. I spoke with a local rod shop here in York Pa and they confirmed that AA's customer service and help is beyond amazing compared to Painless. They also showed me that the insulation on AA's kits are in fact thicker and the instructions are also much more detailed. Thanks for all the responses. I will post an update once I get my kit and show everyone how it comes. God bless you all!

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Sorry for the late response but I pulled the trigger on a power 20 kit from American Autowire today. I spoke with a local rod shop here in York Pa and they confirmed that AA's customer service and help is beyond amazing compared to Painless. They also showed me that the insulation on AA's kits are in fact thicker and the instructions are also much more detailed. Thanks for all the responses. I will post an update once I get my kit and show everyone how it comes. God bless you all!
I'm only an hour or so down the road, and am pretty handy with electron transfer, if you need some help.

• Friendly
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor