Paint Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think I have decided on the next covering on my GP. I painted it matt blue years ago before the matt flavor caught on and I've been trying to think of what I can do that is not on on every street corner. I think I've made up my mind and have been doing some research in how to paint parts of the GP rust. Have any of you guys done that and if you have do you have any tips..... :)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Drive it in the snow and salt, bake in the sun, rinse, and clearcoat.

I want to deeply thank you for the thought and all the effort you put into your answer, where did you find the time to give me such a detailed answer..... :popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
That method is valid. Added benefit is, you only need to get it started in one spot, it'll do the rest itself....

Reactions: 1 user

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
A local guy who is actually a great car painter and owns a body shop was building a patina'd rat rod truck. There were areas where he needed to add some new metal, but wanted it to look like the rest of the truck. So he would grind the fresh metal clean and literally throw water on it mixed with salt, then park it outside for a few days.

The downside to this is it actually creates real rust which is something you probably don't really want.

Otherwise, I'd find a guy who is talented with an airbrush and let him have at it.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
I've seen a car at the local car shows/ cruise-in's . It was a '64 Buick convertible. It looked like it laid in a field for decades but it was all airbrush work. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the car, but it always seems to attract a lot of attention.
The odd part is, the car is in very nice condition. I saw pics of the car before going thru this process. It had nice cream colored paint. I ,for the life of me, couldn't understand why a person with a beautiful car with nice paint would opt to do this.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Steve,
I've seen a car at the local car shows/ cruise-in's . It was a '64 Buick convertible. It looked like it laid in a field for decades but it was all airbrush work. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the car, but it always seems to attract a lot of attention.
The odd part is, the car is in very nice condition. I saw pics of the car before going thru this process. It had nice cream colored paint. I ,for the life of me, couldn't understand why a person with a beautiful car with nice paint would opt to do this.

years ago people said the same thing to me when I said I wanted paint the GP matte blue......after it was done I got plenty of compliments. It is nice to have something different.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
years ago people said the same thing to me when I said I wanted paint the GP matte blue......after it was done I got plenty of compliments. It is nice to have something different.
Yeah, you're right. It's sometimes monotonous seeing cars that look similar, or nothing out of the ordinary. I do notice that some rusty vehicles tend to attract more attention than cars with expensive paint jobs.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
mix red oxide and brown to get a rust color, paint the car in that first. let it cure good then paint it with the color you want the car to be. Start wetsanding the fender areas trunk corners etc wherever you want the "rust" to be. by wetsanding out from those spots you can get the paint thin to look wore down. then clearcoat it with a flattened clear. that gives you the worn surface rust look that is actually protected and durable

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor