Painting a fiberglass hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
OK, I'll admit it. I don't know squat about body work. I do know that working with fiberglass can be tricky though. So hypothetically, if one was to buy a bolt on fiberglass hood ( like the 81-88 Cutlass ram air style hoods by VFN http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/8188cutlass.htm ), what would be involved in doing a top notch prep/paintjob on it? What would be the cost if you were to have 'a pro' do it?

SmoknMali

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2013
in all honesty...you can do it yourself with some chopped fibers/fiber strips/ resin and bonds. But man it's some work. or save the time and frustration and let a local shop do it...

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
pontiacgp said:
Take a look at this forum. I joined it when I was painting my car and there are pro's on that forum who will help anyone. I found their information very helpful...

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/index.php
The information on that site it wonderful. I joined awhile back when I was painting a door on my truck. When I get further along on the Camaro I will be referring back. Alot of guys on their willing to help.

The only problem I do see with that forum is a couple of the Pros dont like people who do paint on a budget. People will ask questions needing help and they wont help and immediately come out and say your equipment is junk. Most people wont go out and buy a $500 paint gun and they just want to make due with their under $100 paint gun. Just have to sift through it. All in All good site.

But I guess that is like me, I would never take apart and engine(that has miles on it) then just slap it back together without boring and honing. But I won't knock a person for trying it, I understand people have budgets and help them work with what they have.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
That forum seems like it has alot of good info but it's kind of alot to take all in at once. I will have to read up on all that stuff at a later time. For now, I was just looking for a rough ballpark price to prep/paint a fiberglass hood ( if one was to pay someone else to do all the work ). This info will help me determine what route I want to go when the time comes.

Here's another body work question. If you have a fiberglass scoop moulded onto a steel hood and wanted to 'undo' the molded on part and instead go with just the 'bolted on' look, is that something that can be done or will it cause damage to the fiberglass scoop when removing the bondo/filler?

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Im pretty sure hotrod magazine has done an article about fitting a glass hood at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor