Painting plastic inner fenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
what are most people using to paint their plastic inner fenders. I degreased, cleaned, primed and painted mine and they always seem to flake after a year or so. I don't drive it much.

I think I need to strip them all the way down and start over but I don't want to take them out of the car.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
If you want to strip them the easy way go to Pep Boys and get a can of Aircraft Paint Stripper thats made for stripping plastic. They make other types so be careful when you buy it. Its specifically made for plastic. It works really well. Ive used it on AC boxes, shrouds and inner fenders.
I painted the inner fenders for both of my cars with SEM Hot Rod Black. The trick is you have to use an adhesion promoter before the paint. Bulldog is the brand I use. You can buy it in a spray can but it lays out better from a spray gun. It makes the paint adhere to the plastic.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
If you want to strip them the easy way go to Pep Boys and get a can of Aircraft Paint Stripper thats made for stripping plastic. They make other types so be careful when you buy it. Its specifically made for plastic. It works really well. Ive used it on AC boxes, shrouds and inner fenders.
I painted the inner fenders for both of my cars with SEM Hot Rod Black. The trick is you have to use an adhesion promoter before the paint. Bulldog is the brand I use. You can buy it in a spray can but it lays out better from a spray gun. It makes the paint adhere to the plastic.
that sounds like a solid plan. that paint stripper will remove paint from anything though correct so be pretty careful when using it on the inner fenders? im definitely going to do that and ive heard good things about that bulldog adhesion promoter. is the SEM hot rod black high temp at all or do you think it will never get hot enough near the inner fenders to mess with the regular paint?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Im assuming youre taking the inners out to do this. If your not, my advice is to remove them. Yes, the stripper will take off every bit of paint off everything it touches.
SEM Hot Rod Black comes in a quart kit. Its a 2K paint. The kit comes with reducer, hardener and paint all in a single box. Ive used it on many parts including the front end of my wagon and any engine part that I wanted a semi gloss black. As far as high heat, I dont think inner fenders will ever get hot enough to have an issue. Like I said, Ive used it on motor parts. It lays out like glass. Last time I bought a kit it was about $75-$80.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
When I painted mine I used spray paint made for plastic bumper covers. It gave a nice semi-gloss finish that has held up so far for 2 years

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor