painting plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
A body shop supply matched the color to a piece of his interior. I used most of the quart to do everything. Sprayed the new pieces front and back.
I don't think i have any interior pieces left in the original color. When i got my car it was all gone and the seats are dyed red. I had to buy a new dash (shell) also.

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
I don't think i have any interior pieces left in the original color. When i got my car it was all gone and the seats are dyed red. I had to buy a new dash (shell) also.
Black it is!

That being said, not all blacks are made equally.
Which reminds me of this... Lol

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Black it is!

Hah, lol no i plan on staying original. It's too low mileage to be messed up. Only took me 6 years to find everything i needed since nothing is made at all!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Maybe it'll be best to recolor all the hard parts. With any of the original panels you do have why not clean up the inside/back panel to ensure you have at least a good 3"x3" spot for them to scan. I know PPG does cover alot of their lines with thier scan tool but not sure if they have SEM added at this time. FYI, if I would of really would of looked at how hard it's been for me to find dark maple parts over the past 20+ years I have been really looking my interior would of went black out of making it easier to redo it all.
Black it is!

Funny but true. My '81 Monte will be black again & my '14 Silverado is black but neither is the same color. Then I have maybe three or four other cans of black & they are all different shades due to gloss levels. Then there's all the spray bombs...

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
This shouldnt be a hard thing to do. In '79 GM had 2 different shades of blue for Pontiac interiors. Light blue and dark blue. From what youre describing you most likely have the light. Post a photo of the inside. You can give a place the paint code and they can mix the color. Instead of touching up pieces do all of them. It will freshen up the whole interior and everything will match.

1979-Gm-pg04.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
This shouldnt be a hard thing to do. In '79 GM had 2 different shades of blue for Pontiac interiors. Light blue and dark blue. From what youre describing you most likely have the light. Post a photo of the inside. You can give a place the paint code and they can mix the color. Instead of touching up pieces do all of them. It will freshen up the whole interior and everything will match.

View attachment 185080
That was going to be my to do anyway. It really isn't a hard thing to do I just have a very hard time to decide. I'm indecisive. 🤣 A interior photo won't help none of the interior is in the car minus Dash and seats. I wasn't going to touch up anyway I was planning to do whole interior since I have to buy a new headliner and sun visors anyway just hard to find that stuff in light blue.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
CrammerGram69,
Would this be the light blue that your interior is? This is in my 79 Monte Carlo.

P1011967.JPG P1011968.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Yes Sir. You are lucky to have yours intact! Looks immaculate! Very few left.
Thank You, To date I'm the 3rd care taker with the mileage at 16,000 since new. Same car in my avitar.

Reason I ask on the color is I pulled the entire interior to add rear speakers and remove the plastic bag that contained heat barrier under the passenger side foot well. The rear package tray needed to be resprayed,so I had the back of the front foot well kick panel and the bottom side of the ash tray scanned with a spectrophotometer at the local auto paint supply store .
This was the result: Paint formula code 735147K which is also a 1987 Jaguar (CF 01 EUR) color.
They mixed it in Axalta (Dupont) Chromabase with the vinyl additives. Color is dead on to the rear sail panels.

If this is the blue you are looking for at least you have a color formula number.

Reactions: 2 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Thank You, To date I'm the 3rd care taker with the mileage at 16,000 since new. Same car in my avitar.

Reason I ask on the color is I pulled the entire interior to add rear speakers and remove the plastic bag that contained heat barrier under the passenger side foot well. The rear package tray needed to be resprayed,so I had the back of the front foot well kick panel and the bottom side of the ash tray scanned with a spectrophotometer at the local auto paint supply store .
This was the result: Paint formula code 735147K which is also a 1987 Jaguar (CF 01 EUR) color.
They mixed it in Axalta (Dupont) Chromabase with the vinyl additives. Color is dead on to the rear sail panels.

If this is the blue you are looking for at least you have a color formula number.
Very interesting. The rear speaker tray was missing from my car, So i bought another car which is the '78 i am parting out surprisingly the one in it is very intact. Otherwise, i was gonna have to buy a malibu style from dixie restoration... since they don't make Pontiac LeMans/Grand Am Style. Thank you for the info and Numbers. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor