Painting rear quarter stripes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Had a crappy day today. Went to remove some old decals off my rear quarter, and the sticker remover attacked the paint. So I have messed up spot right in the middle on my rear quarter under the quarter window. Rather than having to repaint the whole panel I am thinking of painting some black satin stripes to mask it. I have some leftover 2K, single stage satin black paint from redoing my hood. My question is if I can use soft edge foam masking tape for soft edges for the stripes?

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
First off you can do whatever you like.A picture would definitely help.But in general the tape is used on a body line when you don't want color past the body line or don't want to clear the whole panel.I use it everday at work for time saving reasons on RV paint repairs.On cars I almost always clear the whole panel but in the production environment I work in keeping a repair small is the norm when possible.Good luck hope it works for you.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Thanks. I forgot to say my Regal is a metallic silver and being an 87 is GM's early BC / CC. I know doing spot repairs on metallic colors is tricky.

To give an idea, I am thinking of painting black stripes something like this.
2c1h0.jpg

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
3Ms fine line has always worked for me. Best stripe masking tape I've ever used.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Does the fine line tape masking tape leave a hard edge?

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Does the fine line tape masking tape leave a hard edge?
Yes,remember you are adding additional material with more coats of paint.To minimize the edge mask all surrounding areas first and put the fine line tape on last, as soon as you are done painting pull the blue tape and the paint will move slightly softening the edge.Be careful when you do it.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I found a place that sells really wide striping tape, but not sure if that would be easier or more effective than painting? Paint would be more durable.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Again,3M makes REAL GOOD stripe tape in alot of different sizes. I've used it with great results and longevity. Buy it wide enough to be able to cut the shape you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor