Panel bond adhesive

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
This is aimed at Donovan (and all the other body/paint guys on here) about what panel bond adhesive to get. I need a badass adhesive to redo my mounting arrangement of the driver and passenger door plastic body pieces for the silver car.

I'd like to get something local over the weekend, so something that is readily available would be great. Otherwise, I could order it and get it next week.
Thanks all,

Last edited:

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I am bonding some metal tabs to the plastic panel so I can run some self tap sheet metal screws into the metal tabs instead of the plastic panel itself. Which 3M product? Any other products that are as good? Also available locally?

Thanks for responding, but, 3-M doesn't tell me much.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
I use the panel bond that Eastwood sells, fits a standard calk gun. Only downside I've found is you have to buy the plastic plunger separately.

Reactions: 1 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Evercoat 100815. two-part, fits a standard caulking gun. They have a few options, this number seems to be the most similar to 3m 08115. That is the slowest setting, strongest one I believe. they make faster setting ones, just let me know if you need a part number.

ex_q75_w550_h550_100815_MAXIMMultiPanel_Cart_WEB.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Did not get any more specific because I did not know what you were planning to bond to your plastic panels. That aside, 3-M has an on line catalogue that might offer both information and part numbers for the correct adhesive. Would think that any good two-part epoxy that comes rated as suitable for joining metals to non-metals could potentially work for you unless there is some kind of load or stress going to be applied to the panels that makes a dedicated bonder the best option.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Lord Fusor is another brand. Check autobody supply stores . Works the same way with blue plunger. Tell them what you want to bond, they’ll sell you the correct mix.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Thanks Nick, sorry that I wasn't more specific in the first post. I'll take pics of what I am trying to do so y'all'll have more of an idea the end result.
I need to be able to put screws in the inside of the door to grab hold of the plastic door body kit piece. I want to bond metal tabs to the door piece to have something to screw into other than the plastic itself.

Basically, it won't have much of a load on it except highway speed wind going down the side of the car...

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
You first need to know what type of plastic your dealing with such as too pvc ECT that's how you know if you need an adhesion promoter. A good rule is to do a float test on the plastic. Find a small piece that you can cut off of the back side where no one will see it and it doesn't affect the peace you're working on and put it in a glass of water. If it floats promote. If not don't. Then you know what panel bond to buy you should also know if the adhesive requires mechanical or chemical adhesion before use. Hope this helps. I'm shore big D will chime in and elaborate a little better for you it's been years since my I-Car training on adhesion

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor