Panel Dimmer/Dome Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
The panel dimmer on my 1980 Malibu doesn't seem to work. Its stuck at about half brightness, can't turn it up or down. Replaced the headlight switch thinking that was my issue but that did not fix the problem. Also, the dash lights come on the moment the key is on, not with the headlights. Maybe these 2 problems are related?

I've been having other issues in this same circuit. The interior lights only work with the headlight switch, not the door switches; and it sounds like my key alarm is constantly on, but very, very quiet. And i mean constantly, with the car running or off, keys in or out, doors open or closed, and lights on or off.

As you can imagine, i seem to blow the courtesy lights fuse quite often. Can't narrow it down to something in particular, aside from this key alarm always buzzing, potentially heating the fuse up to the point where it melts.

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
It sounds like something is grounding out in the headlight circuit. Try unplugging the harness from the headlight switch. If the buzzer stops you know your problem is in that circuit. Inspect the headlight harness pigtail, I've seen these melt before, especially if someone in the past put too high wattage headlight bulbs in. Check for exposed/chewed wires. Also, check to see if anyone has tapped into the harness and altered it as well. There is a ground for that side of the harness that screws into the underside of the dash directly below the e-brake release. It's a 10mm bolt. Make sure that is intact and clean.

You can always pull the buzzer out of the electrical bus and see if that solves your problem as well. It's kind of up under the dash above the fuse block.

If all that checks out, you are going to need to get out the test light and start chasing down the short somewhere in the harness.

Let me know how you make out.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor