Parasite in my 86 Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Offthecuh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2020
Arizona
Im not really knowledgeable when it comes to electrical, so any info would help. I picked up a 86 base monte carlo and the previous owner warned me a out an electrical draw that kills the battery, after testing fuses i noticed the Ignition fuse was broken, i tried putting in another fuse to replace it but it instantly broke, so i believe the short is in the ignition switch, would my next step be to replace it? also this may relate to my short or not but i also noticed my turnsignals dont work when my high beams are on, any help would be appreciated!

Offthecuh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2020
Arizona
After looking at my Chilton book, the ignition fuse leads to my ignition switch, but also the radio fuse! which sparked my memory of the previous owner saying the radio wires were tampered with leading for me to think that the short is in the radio wires, which effectively shorted out the ignition switch, leading to the busted ignition fuse

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Sounds like a couple issues. Start with the fuse blowing. Look in the owners manual and see what that fuse feeds. My first guess is a shorted cig lighter or maybe a penny in it

maxi426

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2018
Like Fleming says, power to the ignition switch is supplied by fuseable links, not fuses. A shorted switch wouldn't blow fuses. Power for the radio comes from the radio and courtesy light fuses, at least originally. Depends on how badly someone re-engineered the radio wiring. When looking for wiring problems and shorts, it's usually a good idea to start looking where someone else has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor