Parked 3 Months - Coolant Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
P1110859.JPG
Last driven Oct 2016, external engine cleaning done 2 months ago. Today I see this while assembling the engine compartment. I haven't checked the heater hose clamp.(I hope it's as simple as that) Is there a leaking gasket on the intake that causes coolant leak? My brother in law's 79 Cutlass had a leaky aluminum intake and I'm wondering if the SBC's aluminum intake is suffering from the same problem? I've never removed an intake before.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
The 305 in my 86 El Camino started to weep coolant at the rear of the block on the drivers side just before it received a 350 upgrade. Loose intake bolts! I also found my 88 Super Sport beginning to leak at the right front corner 3 years ago just before I put it into storage for winter. I've so far bought a little time by just tightening the intake bolts BUT....I know a new set of intake gaskets are in this cars future.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
My guess is loose hose clamp, especially with how cold it gets in your garage Ed.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I warmed up my hands and went out again(I hate cold garages). I got one turn clockwise on the clamp. I dried up the spillage and I'll check in a few days when the temps are above freezing.
Thanks all.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor