Parking & dash lights out. Fuse blows

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
The other day i installed a different radio head unit into my '86 regal. Just a simple 11 wire hook up. Other than that i haven't touched the electrical system recently.

I noticed the dash lights, parking lights front/back, & license plate light dont turn on. The fuse was blown and the new one blew right away. Interior lights, headlights, radio all work. Anyone have a wiring diagram or similar issue like the headlight switch shorting out?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Since it just happened after you installed the radio I would suspect the wire lead that powers the light for the radio may be grounded.

Geo's66

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2014
Wouldn't you want the radio head unit grounded? Learning myself that's why I ask, thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
yes you want the head unit to be grounded but you want to make sure you don't create ground loops which cause the radio to hum/buzz

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
From the radio There is only black wire to ground, red wire to factory orange wire for constant 12v, yellow wire that i have wired to fuse box, then the blue remote wire to an amplifier and the 8 speaker wires.

Which would be for illumination?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
illumination would be an orange wire. Have you unplugged the radio to see if the fuse still blows?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
Fuse was fine with the radio unplugged. The problem ended up being that i had the ground from the radio to a dark brown factory wire which seems to be the dim signal wire. I switched it back to the black/ground wire and capped off the dark brown wire. Everything works again.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor