Parts list need for landau top removal permanently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
I’m looking to remove the landau top from the 1983 cutlass permanently and want to ensure I have all the parts before I start since this is my daily. I think I’d like to put the Calais emblems back on once I remove the top so I wonder if that is possible without the landau as well.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I plan on doing the same for my Regal when i start the bodywork and paint. i believe you need new Quarter glass, rear window trim and the new trunk deck piece.
but i may be missing something

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
to add my 2 cents , not so much new Quarter window Glass........................But the windows from a non - vinyl top car .
and you will need to add the clips for the rear window trim.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I just removed mine. The windows stick out slightly but I am leaving them, it isn't supper noticeable.They need slight fill with RTV or Urethane around the seal edges. Also filler of some sort is needed at both top edges above the quarter windows. You need the non vinyl top chrome trim around the back window.

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Be sure to get the 5 pc chrome for the rear window. 12 clips for the top and sides along with the stud screws. The filler panel takes 8 of the lower style clip. You have to remove the filler panel to install them them. The difference in Cutlass quarter windows is a 3/16 wider rubber edge that sticks out to fill the gap where the vinyl was. Can swap windows or fill gap with urethane. Grind studs off body top and sides and do bodywork and smooth. Repair seam between roof and quarter in front and behind the quarter window (known bad factory bodywork under vinyl top) Fill rivet holes around rear window frame. Grind studs off of rear filler panel and smooth out with filler..

Reactions: 1 user

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
Y
Be sure to get the 5 pc chrome for the rear window. 12 clips for the top and sides along with the stud screws. The filler panel takes 8 of the lower style clip. You have to remove the filler panel to install them them. The difference in Cutlass quarter windows is a 3/16 wider rubber edge that sticks out to fill the gap where the vinyl was. Can swap windows or fill gap with urethane. Grind studs off body top and sides and do bodywork and smooth. Repair seam between roof and quarter in front and behind the quarter window (known bad factory bodywork under vinyl top) Fill rivet holes around rear window frame. Grind studs off of rear filler panel and smooth out with filler..

You make it sound so easy...
and then I remember my 87 regal... still have nightmares about it. I am going to do the same to my olds this winter.

Stupidquestionspro, you would be wise to check the 'oldscool' build. wish I had seen that thread before I did this job.

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/project-olds-cool-updated-5-15-19-belt-mouldings.62181/unread

actually wish I had seen that build thread before I ever did anything on a car, period. But it is 40 years too late, it has still taught me a few things, worth reading through before you tackle this job or anything really.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Y

and then I remember my 87 regal... still have nightmares about it. I am going to do the same to my olds this winter.

Stupidquestionspro, you would be wise to check the 'oldscool' build. wish I had seen that thread before I did this job.

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/project-olds-cool-updated-5-15-19-belt-mouldings.62181/unread

actually wish I had seen that build thread before I ever did anything on a car, period. But it is 40 years too late, it has still taught me a few things, worth reading through before you tackle this job or anything really.

That’s my build, currently still in progress. It’s been a battle for sure, but thankfully I’m over the worst of the hurdles now. Thanks very much for recommending my build thread!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Y

Why? From what I've seen, that guy doesn't have the slightest clue as to what he's doing with sheetmetal repair.... :)

j/k. His work is outstanding.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

corkatoa

Burger Flipper
Jul 6, 2013
Creston, BC, Canada
That’s my build, currently still in progress. It’s been a battle for sure, but thankfully I’m over the worst of the hurdles now. Thanks very much for recommending my build thread!

Alberta boys got to stand together!
I saw that car for sale and didn't pursue it because I wanted 81 and up. I get to Calgary pretty often, I will give you a shout next time I am in the vicinity. If you ever see anything in the kootenays you are interested in, let me know and I can check it out for you.. but I don't miss too much out here when it comes up...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor