Parts PSA: Misleading ebay ad. Take car parts ads with a grain of salt. ALWAYS verify your parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Perusing around fleabay looking at NOS parts, I ran across THIS errant ad for a passenger side door weatherstrip:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=174386730023

It is errant in the fact that the part number, if true, fits the 2-door 1978-1980 Cutlass/Regal. A47-A87. Parts book says it also fits El Camino/Cabellaro 82-87.

BTW, the 81-88 Cutlass/Regal 2-door weatherstrip part number is actually 20201220 for RH, and 20201221 for LH. And they were never changed. They just went extinct about 11 years ago.

I don't think it was an intentional slight on the ad to mislead, but it still is not correct. Because of the price, I did message them politely telling them the part number they had was for the above vehicles, however I got a feeling they probably already know everything and will blow it off, then deal with the returns later when the sh*t don't fit when product "wasn't as described".

So if you have one of the above 78-80 A-body 2 door cutlass/regal, or an 82-87 Elky/Cabby, here you go. Genuine GM door weatherstrip. GM versions, I've found, are simply THE best.

Parts shoppers- be careful out there.

the-more-you-know.gif

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
It is errant in the fact that the part number, if true, fits the 2-door 1978-1980 Cutlass/Regal. A47-A87. Parts book says it also fits El Camino/Cabellaro 82-87.

IMO and bit of a rant is just because you look the parts books dont always makes the info correct. Just because the book says it will fit 82 to 87 El Camino I know the doors are the same 78 to 87 with the exception of where the mirror mounts. The same door shell also fits 78 to 80/81 2 door Malibu and Grand Lemans. Im not saying what the seller on Ebay has it listed as is right or wrong but likely looked up online to see what the seal fit and went with what info is found.
As a seller Ive had a person tell me that a part for a 70 to 72 Chevy pickup I had for sale marked as 67 to 72 tell me his book had it listed that my part would not fit 67 to 69. This part fit on the fender, when I told that person that the fenders will physically interchange he got mad at me.
One thing I do agree on is do your research on what you are looking for, sometimes you get lucky.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
IMO and bit of a rant is just because you look the parts books dont always makes the info correct. Just because the book says it will fit 82 to 87 El Camino I know the doors are the same 78 to 87 with the exception of where the mirror mounts. The same door shell also fits 78 to 80/81 2 door Malibu and Grand Lemans. Im not saying what the seller on Ebay has it listed as is right or wrong but likely looked up online to see what the seal fit and went with what info is found.
As a seller Ive had a person tell me that a part for a 70 to 72 Chevy pickup I had for sale marked as 67 to 72 tell me his book had it listed that my part would not fit 67 to 69. This part fit on the fender, when I told that person that the fenders will physically interchange he got mad at me.
One thing I do agree on is do your research on what you are looking for, sometimes you get lucky.
I agree with your viewpoint. I am saying what the ebayer has is listing said part number as wrong for the applications he says it fits. Because it doesn't. I'm not saying he is intentionally misleading anyone. But if someone with an 84 GN buys it, they're going to find out quick it doesn't fit. And dropping $250 plus on a door weatherstrip...I'd be expecting that beyotch to fit. But it won't. So I predict there will be returns in the seller's future.

I didn't research every application for this part. Not my job. I DO KNOW wtf I'm talking about with regard to fitting Cutlass/Regal, however. As far as the Elky/Cabby applications, I am not quite so positive, as I've never had 1st hand experience with them. I was kind of surprised by it fitting elky doors, because I always thought they were their own doors. Hence I say "according to the parts book". That's 69hurstolds speak for "not 100% sure, but GM says it fits...". The moral of the story is to always verify any part number for correct fitment for your own application.

I get that everyone doesn't live inside a GM parts book when searching for parts. So they can be the most vulnerable to be having to go through the hassle of the return because the item in question WILL NOT FIT the application the seller says it does.

Parts books are not always correct either, but I'd say it's 99% of the time correct. I'd trust that before I'd trust some dude on ebay. Experience tells you whether the parts book is correct or not.

Reactions: 1 users

newmexguy

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2021
Las Cruces NM 88005
It's gotten so hard to sell much of anything - so why in the heck would someone knowingly want to deal with a return? With ebay - the buyer is always right, even if their wrong. Several sellers - long termers - I know are packing up, or drastically downsizing to small parts only in an attempt to avoid returns and hassles from wishy - washy "buyers".

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It's gotten so hard to sell much of anything - so why in the heck would someone knowingly want to deal with a return? With ebay - the buyer is always right, even if their wrong. Several sellers - long termers - I know are packing up, or drastically downsizing to small parts only in an attempt to avoid returns and hassles from wishy - washy "buyers".
Ebay sellers are full of crap these days, even long standing ones.

In the past year I've had to return or claim the buyer guarantee on about 40% of purchases.

I had "new" wheels show up with curb chewing and signs of tire mounting. I had a "new" engine cover show up with oil marks and strange circular indentions into the top.

Some of the "new" parts show up with the factory boxes cut open and then taped up with clear tape, and the seller later admitted to having opened and resealed the boxes. That's "open box" not "new" and these are coming from factory dealerships.

It's buyer beware everywhere

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I used to sell a lot of items on EBay. Up to 2 weeks a month I was shipping items out. Unfortunately EBay dropped any protection for the seller. If they did not like it they just had to claim it was broken and I had accept the return in whatever condition it came back in. Even if their was shipping insurance. Anything damaged in shipping no one would cover since it had been sent back. I had shipped one model out neatly packed in a box. Buyer claimed it arrived damaged and sent the plastic model back in a paper envelope. Of course it was smashed when I got it back. After that I quit selling regularly on EBay.

I do still buy on occasion from there. There have been somethings that I have been unable to find elsewhere. Also I have purchased hand tools there. Mainly I get items off EBay that are easily able to determine their condition by the pictures or I can get no other way.

Sadly it is a case of a few bad buyers ruined a good thing for the majority.

Reactions: 1 user

newmexguy

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2021
Las Cruces NM 88005
And it got ruined with the tidal wave of cheap knick-knacks from Asia, being loaded online in mass quantities. Key fobs, accessories, light kits, most junk, a handful of reasonable stuff. Ebay used to be like going to a swap meet, or a garage sale, in the early days - '96 to '08. Gave up on it in '09, paying listing fees, for nothing selling. Waste of time.

Reactions: 1 user

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
And it got ruined with the tidal wave of cheap knick-knacks from Asia, being loaded online in mass quantities.
Just like Amazon and many of the other online sites.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor