Passenger footwell leak 1984 el Camino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorgeous

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2016
ive got an 84 el Camino that's been siting out in the rain for a couple of days. I woke up to a wet passenger floor mat today. Reaching around under the dash I noticed the foam inside the heater vent to be completely soaked. A quick search yielded that this could be a clogged drain in the heater box. Does this seem likely? Also is there any common spots to look out for? Unfortunately I don't have a manual for this car yet or a garage to work on it. So before I tear into this thing in the street any help would be greatly appreciated as this car lives outside. Nothing seems to be leaking on the drivers side. So...

G-boz

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2008
CT
ive got an 84 el Camino that's been siting out in the rain for a couple of days. I woke up to a wet passenger floor mat today. Reaching around under the dash I noticed the foam inside the heater vent to be completely soaked. A quick search yielded that this could be a clogged drain in the heater box. Does this seem likely? Also is there any common spots to look out for? Unfortunately I don't have a manual for this car yet or a garage to work on it. So before I tear into this thing in the street any help would be greatly appreciated as this car lives outside. Nothing seems to be leaking on the drivers side. So...

Yes, sounds like it's a clogged AC drain. Look at the bottom of the box you'll see a slot with a flap, you can clean that out, hopefully that will take care of the problem

Gorgeous

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2016
Cool. I'll figure out how to get at that and clean it out. So this can fill up just from rain? I haven't been running a/c or heat recently as it's been pretty mild.

Gorgeous

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2016
Cool. thats what i seem to be reading. Having no experience with these cars, but some mechanical experience with motorcycles, im assuming I can remove the inner fender and pretty plainly see what im looking for?

Rudy913

G-Body Guru
Feb 26, 2016
New Orleans
Mines also been wet on my passenger side , every time I wash my car or when it rains it happens
I have no a/c installed should that matter?

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I just removed my windshield wipers, stainless trim at base of windshield, the 7mm screws holding down the plastic leaf screen to top of heat/ac box, and found someones misuse of black silicone. There were sections dried up and shrunk. Their lack of cleaning is probably why it just pulled off without much pressure. Sections were not stuck. I dug everything out with a 90 degree pick and used a small wire brush around the top and about 8 inches down both sides. I then used my blower, wiped it down with laquer thinner, and blew it again. I used 3M strip caulk doubled up and smashed the strips in between. I checked it with a garden hose and no more leak into the passengers floor. Took about 2 hours. 3M strip caulk can be found at most automotive parts stores. Around $25

Gorgeous

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2016
Hafrod, so you did you actually have to remove the whole heater box? Were you sealing it all the way around? Mine seems to have old black sealer thats cracking off around the whole unit which i assume is the cause of the leak.

Rotech

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2016
Yes, sounds like it's a clogged AC drain. Look at the bottom of the box you'll see a slot with a flap, you can clean that out, hopefully that will take care of the problem
When you say look at the bottom of the box, is it from underneath the car? And with what means you clean the slot?

G-boz

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2008
CT
its easier to go underneath to get to the flapper. its located on the bottom of the AC box. You can just use your hand to get the big stuff out.
To properly clean it you should go inside the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor