passenger headlight out, but brights work fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I may have been driving for a while with only driver-side headlight. I saw tonight that my passenger side headlight is out, but when I hit the brights, all four headlights shine (1984 Monte Carlo).

Is the problem likely in the headlight switch in the dash? There is no separate filament for the high beam, right? If the bulb lights on high beam, it should light on low beam, right?

Could I have knocked something loose behind the radio? I found some funky wiring back there; hard to believe it came from the factory that way, but the electrical tape was ancient and the stereo is original.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
There is no separate filament for the high beam, right? If the bulb lights on high beam, it should light on low beam, right?
Your low beam bulb has separate low and high filaments. Hence the three wires that go to it.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Your low beam bulb has separate low and high filaments. Hence the three wires that go to it.
I did not know. The bulbs are original. I've replaced exactly one headlight in my life, and it was on a Ford Tempo, in the year 2000.

Thank you very much. I'll take being a moron any day over chasing down an open circuit in a bird's nest of wires...

Thanks. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor