Passenger window doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
So I am going through the bugs on this 1986 442 I bought a couple months ago. The power window on the driver's side works, but the passenger side does not. Not from the master switch or the passenger side switch. The motor is new and it works. I have 12V power to the switch and the motor. I believe I have a bad ground. But I don't know which color wire to start tracing to find it. I looked at this thread and it doesn't seem to help me. https://gbodyforum.com/threads/power-window-wiring.18540/
If the motor grounds to the door (providing the ground) could my problem be something else? Both the master switch and the passenger switch are new.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you tested the wires, blue/white for up and tan for down at the motor and used the metal body of the motor for the ground and found you had 12 volts on each wire when you toggled the switch sounds like the problem is the motor

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
If I run a 12v+ wire and a neg. wire directly to the motor from the battery it works..............motor is ok as it appears.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
Motor works when I take 1 wire that plugs into the motor and ground it to the door. If I switch and re-connect it to the motor and run the other wire to groud the motor goes the other direction. The master switch is new and the Ground wire is connected to the driver's door. Frustrating:wtf:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sounds like the motor is not grounded. Use a multimeter to see if the continuity between the door metal and the motor housing

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
Double checked housing to door metal. there is continuity..........Wondering if the electrical up inside the motr is grounded to the housing. Could that even be possible?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Double checked housing to door metal. there is continuity..........Wondering if the electrical up inside the motr is grounded to the housing. Could that even be possible?

sounds more like that is probable. There isn't really anything else, it sounds like you have tested everything but it ain't working

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
Found the problem. Switched motors right side to left.........same issue. No continuity between master switch and passenger side switch on both Tan and blue/white striped wire. :doh: Ran a jumper wire for both wires and it worked. Everything is grounded through the master switch on drivers side so those two wires must not have been picking up the ground from the master switch.

Now I just have to find the break. Usually in door jambs, but with my luck it will be behind the freaking dash somewhere! :blam:

H2O gbodies

Apprentice
May 2, 2009
Yes, the LH master switch black grounds the entire system since all switch wires (except pink!) are grounded @ rest. So at rest, probe continuity between the black on the LH switch with the tan, blue/wht, blue and brown. Whichever one shows none is the open circuit. The motors are wired as reverse polarity motors-they do not ground to the door shell-this is from 1979-on. 1978 was a different animal tho in that regard.

I'm willing to bet your wire break is inside the door jamb boot-the acrylic jacketing was not designed to last like today's wiring and once it breaks open-voila! Corrosion can now move it and embrittle the wire strands until they break from constant door open-door shut movements.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yes, the LH master switch black grounds the entire system since all switch wires (except pink!) are grounded @ rest. So at rest, probe continuity between the black on the LH switch with the tan, blue/wht, blue and brown. Whichever one shows none is the open circuit. The motors are wired as reverse polarity motors-they do not ground to the door shell-this is from 1979-on. 1978 was a different animal tho in that regard.

I'm willing to bet your wire break is inside the door jamb boot-the acrylic jacketing was not designed to last like today's wiring and once it breaks open-voila! Corrosion can now move it and embrittle the wire strands until they break from constant door open-door shut movements.

By the diagrams the motors are grounded to the door. The switches have constant power and connects the power the appropriate wire.

PowerWindows.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor