Peak oil- the world will run out of oil in 10 years. Drive 'em while you got 'em

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Something to think about. When oil prices went negative recently and current demand is low, producers were stupid and kept pumping, it's hard to imagine that there used to be hand-wringing that the supply side was thought to be drying up and we got dire warnings as far back from over 100 years ago. Prices were/are manipulated by OPEC and other cartels like them, even the U.S. For the longest time, they bluffed their way into higher priced oil because of the convincing fear-mongering of dwindling supply as people were dependent on OPEC. Kinda like the whining about the global warming/climate change alarmists are running around saying in 10 years (for the umpteenth time) the world will end. Well, Greta Thunbergs of the world, I offer all of you a collective F.U. The world may very well end, but not because of climate change or whatever buzz word is used this month. so GTFO.

Quoted from https://www.e-education.psu.edu/eme801/node/486 (I especially was amused by their description and use of their term of "Jed Clampett oil" to describe the early and easy accessible oil fields):
  • "The world will run out of oil in 10 years."
    • - U.S. Bureau of Mines (1914)
  • "The world will run out of oil in 13 years."
    • - U.S. Department of the Interior (1939 and 1950)
  • "The world will run out of oil and other fossil fuels by 1990."
    • - Paul Erlich, Limits to Growth (1973)
  • "The world will run out of oil in 2030, and other fossil fuels in 2050."
    • - Paul Erlich, Beyond the Limit (2002)

Good ol' Paul Erlich- having to go back and revise his 1973 prediction in 2002. Alarmists come in all shapes and sizes, and there's seemingly no shortage of them. Eventually, ONE of them will be right. Throw enough spaghetti on the wall, something is going to stick.

The Penn state article link above closes with a simple message and it's very likely it will turn out the way predicted. I'm more likely to believe this guy than the droves of alarmist predictions. Although I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime.
Sheik Ahmed Zahi Yamani, the longtime Saudi oil minister and a key founder of OPEC, has perhaps summed up the world oil market the most nicely. He said, "The stone age came to an end, not for lack of stones, and the oil age will end, but not for lack of oil."

Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Sheik Ahmed Zahi Yamani, the longtime Saudi oil minister and a key founder of OPEC, has perhaps summed up the world oil market the most nicely. He said, "The stone age came to an end, not for lack of stones, and the oil age will end, but not for lack of oil."

the stone age is back in most States...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I still need to watch this... but, if it upsets the hippies, it must be good:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor