Performance Plug Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
Hi, there! I'm new to this forum, and I would like some opinions, on what some of you think, are the best performance plug wires. I have an 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic. The 307 will soon be replaced with a 72 Olds 350 Rocket engine, that I've just had rebuilt. The machine shop doesn't provide dyno, and says it's around 400 to 430 hp with the set up he provided. Of course this is just a guess. I've come to this forum several times for great advice, and most was very helpful. Thanks in advance Supreme Speed!
20151221_004229.jpg

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
One more thing? Should use all the electronic components, and computer, on the newly built engine? I was told these components restrict the motor from its full potential.

el corvino

Greasemonkey
Aug 23, 2015
For the first part, I'm not sure for a built 350. I know I got my Grand National Taylor Cable 98024 ThunderVolt 5 wires because they were 10.4 mm and only 40 OHMS per foot resistance, but not quite the same for you.

The second part, you'd only use a stand alone tuned computer it you did a fuel injected LS swap so you could tune it properly. With a built 1972 350, they didn't have all that so no - I would not think twice about keeping it.

The HP numbers they quoted you, was that to the wheels (RWHP) or to the flywheel? Flywheel means you'll only be putting down to the tires higher 300's if there guesstimate is accurate. I'd personally find another shop when they are done and get it dyno'd. Not that expensive for 3 pulls, plus you can fine tune it if needed.

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
For the first part, I'm not sure for a built 350. I know I got my Grand National Taylor Cable 98024 ThunderVolt 5 wires because they were 10.4 mm and only 40 OHMS per foot resistance, but not quite the same for you.

The second part, you'd only use a stand alone tuned computer it you did a fuel injected LS swap so you could tune it properly. With a built 1972 350, they didn't have all that so no - I would not think twice about keeping it.

The HP numbers they quoted you, was that to the wheels (RWHP) or to the flywheel? Flywheel means you'll only be putting down to the tires higher 300's if there guesstimate is accurate. I'd personally find another shop when they are done and get it dyno'd. Not that expensive for 3 pulls, plus you can fine tune it if needed.
el corvino Thanks for your input! That idea sparked from a video I saw where a guy took a 2014 Camaro, and like model Charger and dropped in diesel engines with the modern tech coresponding with one another. I was asked if I was going to use the electrical components with my new engine, and after watching the video, a little light bulb appeared. However, I was also told those components would rob me of hp. So, that was a killer for me. As far as the 400-430 hp. I'm not sure if that is to the flywheel, or rear tires, but I already have an appointment with another shop that offer dyno testing. I can tell you that I do have quality performance parts. The 350 is bored .030 over, Edelbrock performance heads, and intake, and roller assembly. I had 3.73 gear drop in a few months ago. I was told an Olds love these gears, and responds really well. I will attach the link for the video if you are interested in the concept.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Get the Accel Pro 25 Race wires. Very high quality and only 25 ohm per foot. My MSD Superconductor wires cracked twice. Get a 750 Street Demon carb and an aftermarket vacuum advance distributor for an Olds V8. Eliminate the computer. What trans is in the car? Here is a link to those plug wires.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/acc-257005#

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have Accel Pro Race 25 sleeved wires on the big block in my Monte, before that I ran Accel 300+ and Taylor 10.4 wires and they have all worked well.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 2004R will need upgrades. I would get a higher stall converter, somewhere around 2200-2500 min, the PTC Dr Dan Mascal special would be best, hardened stator, upgraded 10 vane pump with hardened rings and stiffer slide spring, billet servo, good shift kit with bigger boost valves and a deep pan. The big Transgo kit comes with the servo and bigger boost valves.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor