Pics of wagon dual exhausts wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
The exhaust on my wagon was BRAND SPANKIN' NEW when I bought the car. Otherwise I would have changed out all of it. I could tell it was the absolute last thing the P.O. had done on it because it is in the way of EVERYTHING. I couldn't get the starter out due to the long tube headers. The X-pipe behind the transmission doesn't allow the crossmember to come out which makes the two times I've had to yank the trans out a real treat. It's also a nightmare to get the driveshaft out for any reason. I don't mind the sound of the Flowmasters. I don't get any droning. I actually like the look of the tailpipes dumping out behind the rear tires. But to get the placement of those, I seriously doubt they could be made with mandrel bends. The crush bender did quite a number on them.

What am I getting at? When this system rots away and starts falling off, I'm going with stock manifolds, straight pipes to a pair of budget turbo mufflers and if a crush bender can make the same path for the tailpipes, that's good enough for the stock small block that wheezes through the system to begin with.

I don't have any pics of the full system. But here are a few to give the idea of how the tailpipes are placed. IMG_2949.JPG IMG_3041.JPG IMG_3056.JPG IMG_3063.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I had my exhaust made by a local shop with some used mufflers I had.
The only wagon-specific difference is that the drivers side tail pipe needs a little kick in it to clear the tank, while the passengers side can just go straight out...

0041.jpg

0042.jpg

0040.jpg

• Informative

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Yeah, Blake's looks like mine underneath minus the X pipe behind the G Force crossmember that I also have. Even the driver's side header collector hangs lower too.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Late to the program, but I recall researching OEM dual exhaust a long time ago...the stock transverse muffler and tailpipes had the same part number for all body styles. I had true duals made using stock Monte Carlo SS tailpipes and they fit around the spare we'll and fuel tank no problem. That said, I suspect you can make the stock location pipes work on the Summit true dual kit fit. That's my plan when I put them on eventually...

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here's an idea. Get the Jegs kit (stainless or regular steel, no X pipe) some of use are using Then you'll have an option to go with the supplied strait tails or get some 45 bends for side exits. Hellput on some late '70's T/A chrome splitters.

Earl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 13, 2018
Here is a pic of my 79 Malibu wagon exhaust. Hooker headers - 3 in to the X - 2 1/2 from there through Flowmaster 50s. Sounds real nice - not too loud.

Attachments

• DSCF0022.JPG
    DSCF0022.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 229
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor