Pig tails. Nice on girls pain in the *ss for my MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KndyBludRedMC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2018
Rear wheel gap is driving me nuts! Lol! I'm broke and was looking to cut the rear springs to lower my 78 MC but i don't think i can cut pig tail ends and feel safe driving around. Any advice? I appreciate it!
20180705_011108.jpg
20180705_011011.jpg

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yeah, don't cut them...

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Before I bought lowering springs for my Monte I cut the tops off the rear coils and put a piece of heater hose long enough to cover the full top coil and when I lowered the car down the larger diameter of the top of the spring fit right in the larger recess up top and they never moved and I had them in there until I finally found a set of lowering springs from UMI that worked well to replace them.
Now mine is also not a daily driver going over all kinds of road conditions.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
1993-2002 F-body springs are a little lower spring rate (110 vs 130 lb-in?), but have a square cut coil end and a "donut" that fits over the G-body pigtail bump. They can easily be cut for lower ride height and are smaller coil diameter for more exhaust clearance as a bonus. Search F-body springs for more threads.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

KndyBludRedMC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2018
Great info! Thanks guys.
Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Maybe throw a bunch of bags of cement in the trunk LOL!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If your budget won't let you buy new springs I would leave the springs alone until you have the funds to buy new springs. If you do something with the current springs and something goes wrong you may have to park the car until you have money to fix it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor