Pinion Question, posi destroyed

Status
Not open for further replies.

87regalkid

Apprentice
May 17, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hey guys, so this week I destroyed my stock limited slip posi in my Regal. It was a 7.5" gm 10 bolt 2 series carrier with thick 3.42 gears to fit without the use of a ring gear spacer. Since all of the internals are thrashed and the posi housing itselft is cracked, I'm looking for a new unit. The ring and pinion are in great shape still, since I didn't make it very far.

Specifically, I am looking to put in a detroit locker to replace it, but Eaton doesn't seem to make 2 series carriers. I would have to get a three series and a new ring gear, because I'm assuming that the pinion itself, whether for 2 series or 3 series are the same for a 3.42 ratio, is that right? The ring gear is the only thing thickened to fit, right?

Thanks, - just don't want to remove pinion and find pinion depth again since it was set up near perfect before.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
87regalkid said:
Hey guys, so this week I destroyed my stock limited slip posi in my Regal. It was a 7.5" gm 10 bolt 2 series carrier with thick 3.42 gears to fit without the use of a ring gear spacer. Since all of the internals are thrashed and the posi housing itselft is cracked, I'm looking for a new unit. The ring and pinion are in great shape still, since I didn't make it very far.

Specifically, I am looking to put in a detroit locker to replace it, but Eaton doesn't seem to make 2 series carriers. I would have to get a three series and a new ring gear, because I'm assuming that the pinion itself, whether for 2 series or 3 series are the same for a 3.42 ratio, is that right? The ring gear is the only thing thickened to fit, right?

Thanks, - just don't want to remove pinion and find pinion depth again since it was set up near perfect before.

You really don't have a choice. They are a matched set. They establish a wear pattern against each other. I suppose you could just change the ring gear but why put all the money of a new posi into it just to run the chance of a whiny gear set. You wouldn't use old lifters on a new cam would you?

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
I have a 7.625 aurburn posi out of a 95 fbody but its 28 spline axles
But i am pulling a set of axles out of a 8.5 10 bolt everyone is telling me they will fit in a 7.5.
If intrested lmk and i could do a package deal.

woody31

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2012
i have 3 series carrier if your looking,,make offer

87regalkid

Apprentice
May 17, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Thanks guys, I don't want to get a used carrier and I pretty much decided against auburn posi units, but thanks for the offers. Just have to do everything all over I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor