Pitman arm Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlassinpieces

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN For now.......
Does anybody know off the top of their head what size socket I need to remove my Pitman Arm? Also I haven't been able to find a Pitman Arm new, The autoparts stores say it comes with the steering box. Would I have to get one out of the junkyard, If so will any G-body fit (2 or 4 door?.) I'm swapping my motor and trans from my Firebird to my Cutlass and will be using the Firebird steering box, which will not work(at least thats what I've been told.)
Thanks in advance for the help.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
cutlassinpieces said:
Does anybody know off the top of their head what size socket I need to remove my Pitman Arm? Also I haven't been able to find a Pitman Arm new, The autoparts stores say it comes with the steering box. Would I have to get one out of the junkyard, If so will any G-body fit (2 or 4 door?.) I'm swapping my motor and trans from my Firebird to my Cutlass and will be using the Firebird steering box, which will not work(at least thats what I've been told.)
Thanks in advance for the help.

The steering box in the F body does fit but the stops need to be changed. The degree in travel for the G body is 39 degrees but for the F body depending on the wheel diameter was 32 for the 15" and 36 for the 16". As far as the pitman arm I rented (for free) the pitman arm puller and that came with the sockets from a Part Source, a local parts store. Check with Pit Stop,I think they may have the same tool loan program

cutlassinpieces

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2006
I meant that I was using the steering box but the pitman arm is supposed to not work? Something about altering the steering geometry. If it matters its a '78 firebird box. From looking at it it looks like its too long.

cutlassinpieces

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2006
My first post wasn't really clear about it . Thats what I thought I just didn't know if there was a difference between 2 or 4 doors, v-8 verses 6 Etc. Thanks for the help, looks like i'll be on my back in the junkyard this weekend.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Your welcome and good luck Will they sell you just the arm? Around my area you'd have to buy the steering box with the arm. If they do only want to seel the box with the arm you might want to take the codes with you so you'll know what box your getting....

cutlassinpieces

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2006
If I had to buy it all I'd rather put a manual box in it, is there one that will work (truck maybe?) either that or I would just buy a G/N box from the parts store ($150.) Anyways The Yard near me if I buy a bunch of little pieces they don't even look at what I have just pull a price out of the air.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
A GN box for $150??....up here north of the border a rebuilt box is a little over $300 at NAPA and a rebuilt from the GM dealer is $364.00...now ya really gotta feel sorry for us poor boys up here.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor