Places to get stiffer sway bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
What cars should I look for at the boneyard for stiffer sway bars for my Regal? I've got the stock in now, which are I think 7/8".
And, if I can't find any sportier G bodies to cannibalize, know of any good sources for thicker bars? I don't need the hundreds-of-dollars performance company bars made of chrome-molybdenum-tears of Jesus alloy, just something to make the turns a little tighter.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
Try hotchkis.net you'll have to look under the 78-88 el camino or monte carlo but they will work since they are g body's just like your regal.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
For a junkyard solution, look for a V8 G body with a rear sway bar as only the FE2 or F-41 suspension code cars got the rear bar, and the V8 models had the largest bars. Also be sure the rear bar you get is compatible with the lower rear arms you have. Some bolt to the bottom of the arms and some bolt to the side and they do not interchange. Also, a Z-28, Iroc-Z, Trans Am or Formula Firebird may have a front bar that works as well. The rear however, is G body specific. The big front is 1.25 in and the rear is 3/4, IIRC.

Pretty much any company that makes upgraded suspension parts for domestics will have bars for a G body. Global West, Hotchkis, Suspension Techniques, Kanters, etc will all have one.

Also, where do you live?

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
I have an extra set off an 85 Ttype. Not sure where you are at or about shiping. Also fwiw on my 442 I used a 36mm hollow bar off an early 90s WS6 Trans AM. I bought it from a GM dealer two years ago for a little over $100 after a 20% discount that the parts guy gave just because. Not sure if they are still available though. These are stiffer and lighter than the thicker 34mm or 1.25" bar that came on the GN/442/MCSS. Some of the aftermarket pretty painted bars get stupid money.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
i picked up the 36mm or 1.42inch front bar from the dealer $89.00 for a firebird, bought some poly bushings from summit for the huge bar. Then for the rear i bought the BMR swaybar which is 1.375 inch for $100 and bolts to factory locations, just remove replace. I dont know how well it all works yet since my car is way different than most. I am attempting to build a pro touring big block 78 monte. So i guess my handeling will be way different than a normal sbc monte, so we will see??

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
All the factory REAR g-body sways are 3/4". Get an after market 1" sway bar there. I went with an ST one for about $125. It does make a huge difference when paired with a fatter front.

For the front, like mentioned, get one from a 90-92 F-body, hollow 36mm. I picked on up local for $20!

Or I do have an F-41 front bar that I'll sell for $50 shipped, which is around an 1 1/4".

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
My location, FYI, is San Diego.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i have noticed that the f41 bars came in different sizes, i pulled one of of a grand prix that is massive but the one on my cutty is not as big but still way bigger then a normal one.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
All rears the same? I don't think so. 78-81 Pontiac Gs came in 19, 20, and 22 mm, depending on the model and powertrain.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
90-92 F body would be considered 34mm unless it has the Pontiac WS6 suspension package or the Chevy equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor