Planning a cross country road trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Well the girl friend and myself had got talking her recently that next summer we really want to do something special and take a long trip to places we have never been before.

Now the girl friend has never been out of the NW and myself I have spent much of my time on the west coast except for a trip to Washington DC when I was a kid. That trip actually got me thinking how much I would love to go back to DC and see the museums and all of that again and just be around that history you know? She agreed and we decided that would become our ultimate destination.

The next step was deciding how we would get there and what all we would do. Initially we thought about flying out, however as we talked we thought that maybe a road trip would be more in order, a coast to coast tour as it was. We have discussed heading out through the northern states and seeing all the sites that we can along the way and returning through a southern route (maybe swing further south and hit Florida).

The next decision is going to be what rig do we take? Our current line up is my truck (Ram 1500 std cab short box 4x4) has some transmission issues that would need to be resolved first. Option two is the 2001 Taurus, its in good running order, is ok comfort wise (better than the truck at least) and gets decent mileage. The last option is the Olds I am building. It would not be that difficult to re-purpose it as the long distance cruiser instead of a corner carver. Basically auto trans instead of the manual, leave the 2.73 gearing in the rear end to help mileage, softer springs instead of the race springs I have and buy the most comfortable seats I can find to stick in it for the trip. Definitely leaning this way as I think it would have a little more "soul" to the trip and provide some great memories for the car.

The final decision is what to do about photographing the trip and recording the memories? Take one of the digitals and a ton of memory cards? Take a video camera? Go old school and just take the FM and a bunch of film. Or should I go with a combination of the above?

So what do you guys think? Which rig (car and camera) should I go with? My head tells me go with the Taurus but my heart tells me go with the Olds and use the Taurus as a fall back. What are some "must haves" for the trip and "gotta sees"? We are planning on taking 3 or 4 weeks off to do this by the way. I would love to get some tips from locals for places to stop at and the like.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
it all really depends on how long you're taking for the trip... shorter time means mapping out the major freeways, longer time means mapping out state highways... you can always find interesting sites along the way...

I would like to recommend traveling at least some of route 66.... I plan on making the pilgrimage someday! 8)

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
We are planning on taking 3-4 weeks for the trip so I figure that should give us a decent amount of time for things. I would LOVE to hit 66 and is one of the reasons I am thinking the Olds over the Ford. I just can't imagine driving that historic road in the Taurus when I could have been in the Cutty.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I recommend the Olds. Keep it simple and there's less chance of mechanical failure. Pack a simple tool box, maybe a spare HEI (if that's what you'll be using), spare fuel pump, water pump, etc. If it breaks down - you know you can fix it anywhere. If you have transmission trouble in the Taurus in the middle of BFE you're looking at a tow bill, repair bill and probably a week of staring at a Motel 6 wall waiting for it to get done. The Taurus probably won't have any problems but definitely lacks the personality. My Cutlass gets 20-22 MPG at 70mph with the 305/TH200/2.29 combo. I'm sure the Taurus does a little better.

Lolo Pass runs from Lewiston to Billings. It's good, fast road with great scenery. If you've never been through Glacier National Park (Montana), I highly recommend swinging through there. Little Bighorn (Custer's last stand) is a few hours east also. It's worth stopping. Or you could stay south and dip into Yellowstone. If you do, be sure to go over the Beartooth Highway (212). It is absolutely stunning and goes to almost 11,000 feet. If you schedule your trip in August you could run through Sturgis too. Everyone should see that at least once. Both Deadwood and Mt. Rushmore are within an hour of Sturgis. Be warned that lodging is really hard to come by though. I've never been farther east than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor